Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Noam
Regular Visitor

Fast Combine Enterprise Gateway

Hi there

Is there any option to turn on "fast combine" in the enterprise gateway?

For the personal gateway, you can: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-enable-fast-combine/

Is there a similar way for the enterprise gateway?

I always get this error message when we try to refresh my dataset:

[Unable to combine data] Section1/FactLeads/AutoRemovedColumns1 references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination

I guess this error is raised because of the Power Query merges. In Power BI Desktop you can avoid this error by Options->Privacy

and selexct "Ignore the Privacy Levels..."

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-privacy-levels/ )

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
tbush
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Noam,

Turning on Fast Combine for the On-Premises Data Gateway (as the enterprise gateway is now called) would be a useful feature, particulary when querying Web Services via the Gateway.

I have lodged an idea, if you could vote for it that would be great.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17810236-fast-combine-data-manage...

Cheers

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Noam,

Based on my research, there is no Fast Combine concept in on-premise gateway currently. In your scenario, it seems that there are something wrong with combining data in the data model. I would suggest you open the report in Power BI Desktop, then open Query Editor, to check the steps applied in those tables which retrieve data from SQL Server and OLAP server. Please reorder or edit steps, and click refresh to check if the issue occurs.

If refresh is fine in Power BI Desktop, then republish the report to service. If those data source are not sensitive, you can set Privacy Level as Organizational for those data sources under the on-premise gateway.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Thanks for the awnser. In Power BI Desktop the import only works if I ignore the Privacy Level. The steps in the Query Editor are all correct. The error only started to ocure since we started to use the new query-parameters for the server names. I still need to check if the use of the parameters is the problem. I will test that soon and give here an awnser...

Regards

Noam

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Noam Since it is data gateway now I have tried to find similar folder option under data gateway installation path but no luck. Not sure about this is even possible. Maybe @GuyInACube can help ?

Thanks @ankitpatira !

I just checked which tables have loading-errors. And just the tables with a merge between Data from the SQL Server and Data from the OLAP Server are affected... don't know if this helps anyone to solve this problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors