Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kustbilla
Frequent Visitor

Failed to install on-premise gateway on Windows 10 Home(64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I recently take a case from cutomer that the on-promise gateway not able to be installed on Windows 10 Home 64-bit computer.

The log shows that after loading the key from C:\Users\PBIEgwService\ntuser.dat, the process with user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM is trying to access the sub-folder Software but access is denied. Then the process unload the key and re-load from temp file C:\Users\TEMP.NT SERVICE\ntuser.dat but the result is still the same.

Log of failure.jpg

Therefore I ask customer to check the sub-folder Software in regedit path HKU\S-1-5-80-1835....\Software, but the result is the folder does not exist no matter how many times customer tries to reinstall the on-premise gateway.

HKEY_USERS.jpg

So I have an idea if I can export the keys, send them to customer and let him import them? Or if there's any risk on doing it? Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
kustbilla
Frequent Visitor

By the way, the SID S-1-5-80-1835761534-3291552707-3889884660-1303793167-3990676079 is for NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService

Can you try install the gateway with Administrative rights. Run the set up in Administrative Mode and see the problem still persists.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi Bhavesh, thanks for your reply.

I used Administrator to install it but the issue persists.

Check out this troubleshoot guide. It definitely will help you to find a solution. If not, Please create a Support Ticket.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem-tshoot/

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi,

I have the exact same problem on a windows 10 home machine. The article referred to does not cover the problem.

Seems like it's a permission issue (see NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService) but Windows 10 Home doesn't have a Local Security Policy option to allow NT Service\ALL Services.

Thanks 

Hi,

I have the exact same problem on a windows 10 home machine. The article referred to does not cover the problem.

Seems like it's a permission issue (see NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService) but Windows 10 Home doesn't have a Local Security Policy option to allow NT Service\ALL Services.

Thanks 

Thanks Bhavesh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors