Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

junchoon

Extract underlying Excel cell's format

I have difficulties finding Excel cell's underlying format via Power Query

For example, several formatted cells which shows the amount and the Currency associated with each amount, where the formatting is per cell and each cell may or may not have the same currency format as the others:

In Execl, you can see

USD 75

USD 76

EUR 80

EUR 81

RMB 88

etc.

But in Power Query, you will see

In VBA, this is pretty simple - invoke something like cell.NumberFormat, you will be able to extract result like these:

USD

USD

EUR

EUR

RMB

But Power Query, I could not find a solution

Similar topic was found in another Microsoft site about two years back, but with no solution:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/57169c12-4089-46ec-b881-8b6aa9e610c4/how-to-get-an...

Any help will be great.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

There is no native function in Power Query to achieve this, so you'd have to go down the rabbit hole and extract the xlsx to its pieces and then try to reassemble. You'll find a start to this procedure and some additional links in this blogpost: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/08/18/how-to-import-from-excel-with-cell-coordinates-in-power-qu...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.  

I looked at the link you provided.  As suggested, I looked at the replies, and notice one of them has sample Power Query code.  I am still new to Power BI / Query, thus I may not understand fully the syntax.

Is there a Power Query function call that we can execute something like Excel.Sheet.Cell.NumberFormat?  Or simply Cell.NumberFormat? 

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors