Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Manish_Agarwal
Regular Visitor

Extract matching words from string separeted by Delimters

Hello All,

I have a list of groups with names starting from CHXXL-XXXXXXXX-ADM , CHHCL-Admin- , CHHCL-DC-OS-Admin and others.

I have multiple rows of these in one column .

I want to arrange these in different columns according to the starting letters .

E.G

All groups starting with CHXXL , CHHCL , CHHCL-DC and others are in different columns.

Some lists may have fewer groups and some may have groups missing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Manish_Agarwal 

I've applied your logic to your data and the outcome is 4 columns because after applying step 1 and 4, nothing is left for 3 (i had to put step 4 before 3 - otherwise this would be a contradiction. 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lZJdC4IwGIX/yvB6A63AuhxTUHAW6oUlXgh9IPgB2YX9+97NlYpKdSFsZ+9zzg4zSbQooCyyA8wch3mEnsu8IvHxpPYWI/tQqLCPYzgPmc8ZXxFqcQ2/YVgp3OKuL/CPogzk9KwF0lI8vEXbekSgfGduxAiOn80oCamvcxuOgiiGx359K5fyoT/Vt9L/nj3yKlssA9Q0ULEgKnqhAzV0mXGoixphdKuL67cuChEHHSWhXzsZa5lnF80F8sqsQn8W6wxA7CzAYbmbOfkLZvuY/UunLw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Members = _t, TRACTER = _t, #"CHHCL-ADMIN" = _t, #"CHHCL-DC-OS-ADM" = _t, #"CHXXL-" = _t, Remaining = _t]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source,{"Members"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Members", type text}}),
    TransformMembers= Table.TransformColumns
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        {
            {
                "Members",
                each Text.Split(_,",")
            }
        }
    ),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(TransformMembers, "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Expanded Members" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Index", "Members"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn
    (
        #"Expanded Members", 
        "New ColumnNmae", 
        (add)=> if Text.Contains(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "admin") then "admin" else 
            if Text.StartsWith(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "chxxl") then "start with CHXXL" else 
            if Text.StartsWith(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "chhcl-dc") then "start with CHHCL-DC" else 
            if Text.StartsWith(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "chhcl") then "start with CHHCL" else "remaining"
    ),

#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom"[#"New ColumnNmae"]), "New ColumnNmae", "Members", each Text.Combine(_, ",")),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Table.AddColumn(LastStep, "NewName", each if Text.StartsWith([ColumnName], "StringToLookFor") then [ColumnName] else null)

Repeat for all of the groups. That's it!

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Manish_Agarwal 

difficult to understand without seeing your data and what is the expected output. I tried to put some code together if you have a column with lists, that contain different data as you shown. I extracted the data from the lists and defined a column with new column name. Then I pivoted it. Check it out

let
    Source = #table(type table[Groups=list], {{{"CCH-XXX", "AAA-GH", "CCD-XXX"}},{{"CCH-111", "AAA-GI"}}}),
    #"Expanded Groups" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Source, "Groups"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Expanded Groups", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index", "NewColumnNames", each Text.Split([Groups],"-"){0}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom"[NewColumnNames]), "NewColumnNames", "Groups")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

ziying35
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi, @Manish_Agarwal 

It's not convenient for us to just look at your description to quickly provide you with an appropriate solution, so we suggest you send a desensitization example file with source data and expected results to the cloud drive and then share the link here.

I have the members list and I want the other Columns

MembersTRACTERCHHCL-ADMINCHHCL-DC-OS-ADMCHXXL-Remaining
TRACTER,CHHCL-Admin-XYZ,CHHCL-DC-OS-Adm,CHXXL-ASCNMCM2-ADMTRACTERCHHCL-ADMIN-XYZCHHCL-DC-OS-ADMCHXXL-ASCNMCM2-ADM 
TRACTER,CHxxL-CHHCM974-ADM,XysTRACTER  CHXXL-CHHCM974-ADMXys
TRACTER,CHHCL-Admin-IAM,CHxxL-CHHCMA08-ADM,ratinaTRACTERCHHCL-ADMIN-IAM CHXXL-CHHCMA08-ADMratina
TRACTER,CHxxL-CHHCMA10-ADM,Polo , golfTRACTER  CHXXL-CHHCMA10-ADM Polo ,golf
TRACTER,CHHCL-Admin-IAM,CHxxL-CHHCMA13-ADM,Else , man TRACTERCHHCL-ADMIN-IAM CHXXL-CHHCMA13-ADMElse ,man
TRACTER,CHxxL-CHHCMA17-ADMTRACTER  CHXXL-CHHCMA17-ADM 

Hello @Manish_Agarwal 

check out this. but there is no logic why golf and tracter are handled different....

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lZJdC4IwGIX/yvB6A63AuhxTUHAW6oUlXgh9IPgB2YX9+97NlYpKdSFsZ+9zzg4zSbQooCyyA8wch3mEnsu8IvHxpPYWI/tQqLCPYzgPmc8ZXxFqcQ2/YVgp3OKuL/CPogzk9KwF0lI8vEXbekSgfGduxAiOn80oCamvcxuOgiiGx359K5fyoT/Vt9L/nj3yKlssA9Q0ULEgKnqhAzV0mXGoixphdKuL67cuChEHHSWhXzsZa5lnF80F8sqsQn8W6wxA7CzAYbmbOfkLZvuY/UunLw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Members = _t, TRACTER = _t, #"CHHCL-ADMIN" = _t, #"CHHCL-DC-OS-ADM" = _t, #"CHXXL-" = _t, Remaining = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Members", type text}}),
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        {
            {
                "Members",
                each Text.Split(_,",")
            }
        }
    ),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Members", "New ColumnNmae", each Text.Split(_[Members],","){0}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom"[#"New ColumnNmae"]), "New ColumnNmae", "Members"),
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Hello ,

This is giving me a table and when expanded there are different columns for each members.

What is want is the members from the Source Column to be arranged Under the same columns as per their starting characters.

Ex

All groups starting with CHHCL (Soltuion Admin) ,CHXXL (Server-ADM) , CHHCL-DC (OS Admin) , CHHCL-ADMIN (Solution-ADMIN) and anything else should be in Remaining .

So basically I want 5 columns in total .

Local Admin  OS ADMIN  Server-ADM  Solution-Admin  Remaining 

Hello @Manish_Agarwal 

applying your logic result only in 3 columns. Check out the solution. In case change the list in the step group

let
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        {
            {
                "Members",
                each Text.Split(_,",")
            }
        }
    ),
    Groups = {"CHHCL" ,"CHxx", "CHHCL-DC" , "CHHCL-ADMIN" },
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Members", "New ColumnNmae", each let check= List.Select(List.Transform(Groups, (trans)=> if Text.StartsWith(Text.Lower(_[Members]), Text.Lower(trans)) then trans else null), each _ <> null) in if List.IsEmpty(check) then "remaining" else check{0}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom"[#"New ColumnNmae"]), "New ColumnNmae", "Members", each Text.Combine(_, ",")),
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Hello , Thank you for looking into this and your time.

I want 5 columns .

Local Admin (Exactly Administrator)

OS ADMIN (Anything starting with CHHCL-DC-OS)

Server-ADM (CHXXL-)

Solution Admin (CHHCL)

Remaining (Anything left from the above) 

Let me know how may I put your query in my data source

Hello @Manish_Agarwal 

sorry, I can't find any logic. What does "Local Admin" exactly mean? These both starts with the same text  - CHHCL-DC-OS - Solution Admin (CHHCL). Please define the exact logic in order that we can help you, otherwise this is just a best guess for us here that want to help you.

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Hello 

Local Admin is a different group - one Column ( all with the text "Administrator")

I want a separate column starting with words - "CHHCL" 

and another with "CHHCL-DC-OS"

and 2 other columns as stated earlier.

Thanks

Hello @Manish_Agarwal 

still not clear to me.... Administrator is not contained nowhere. ADM and Admin. Please define exact the rules how the column should be split...like.... 1. if containted "admin" 2. starting with CHXXL 3. ..... 

BR

Jimmy

Hello I have administrator in my strings separated by ,

I want total 5 columns .

1. if containted "admin" 2. starting with CHXXL 3. ..... CHHCL 4. CHHCL-DC 5. Anything esle apart from these.

Hello @Manish_Agarwal 

I've applied your logic to your data and the outcome is 4 columns because after applying step 1 and 4, nothing is left for 3 (i had to put step 4 before 3 - otherwise this would be a contradiction. 

let
    (
        #"Changed Type",
        {
            {
                "Members",
                each Text.Split(_,",")
            }
        }
    ),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn
    (
        #"Expanded Members", 
        "New ColumnNmae", 
        (add)=> if Text.Contains(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "admin") then "admin" else 
            if Text.StartsWith(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "chxxl") then "start with CHXXL" else 
            if Text.StartsWith(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "chhcl-dc") then "start with CHHCL-DC" else 
            if Text.StartsWith(Text.Lower(add[Members]), "chhcl") then "start with CHHCL" else "remaining"
    ),

in
    #"Removed Columns"

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors