Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JanD
Frequent Visitor

Extract data from a chart on website

Hello everyone, 

I woudl like to ask for an advise how to extract data from a specific object (Chart) on a website. 

My intension is to get daily values of mutual funds into Power BI, howover so far I couldn't find any way how to do it. 

Is it even possible?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/WPLCX?p=WPLCX

JanD_0-1641269614653.png

Thanks a lot!

Jan

5 REPLIES 5
jan_tothemoon

Hi @JanD 

Did you figured how to solve this? I'm trying to build somoething similar as well i can´t find a solution

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JanD ,

Agree with @AlexisOlson .such a difficult requirement could not be realized currently.

If you also want this in power bi, let the power bi community to know this things and give your votes at power bi site's feedback - Ideas

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

JanD
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @AlexisOlson

But this is just example. I have many different websites, which I need to extract data from. 

Usually there is only chart without any download option or historical data table..

That's why I am looking for an option how to extract data from the chart.

Here is another case

Conseq - UNIQA CEE Akciový fond (CZK)

That one has a link to historical prices too (scroll down to documents). 😉

I don't think I can provide a general solution since different charts are generated differently.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

The Historical Data tab should be friendlier to work with:

AlexisOlson_0-1641308271716.png

It has a download option that exports CSV but you could also connect to the web page via Power Query with a query like this:

let
    Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/WPLCX/history?p=WPLCX"),
    #"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"Column1", ".Pend\(10px\)"}, {"Column2", ".Pend\(10px\) + *"}, {"Column3", ".Pstart\(10px\):nth-child(3)"}, {"Column4", ".Pstart\(10px\):nth-child(4)"}, {"Column5", ".Pstart\(10px\):nth-child(5)"}, {"Column6", ".Pstart\(10px\):nth-child(6)"}}, [RowSelector=".Pend\(10px\)"]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Extracted Table From Html",{{"Column1", type date}, {"Column2", type text}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", type text}, {"Column5", type text}, {"Column6", type text}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", "Date"}, {"Column2", "Open"}, {"Column3", "High"}, {"Column4", "Low"}, {"Column5", "Close"}, {"Column6", "Adj Close"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors