Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract Record Field Names to List

I'm deep into writing some functions to automate processing some fairly deep and complex JSON files. Since it is JSON coming from user generated data the number and names of the key:value pairs is indeterminate and can vary. In order to write a series of generic functions to expand and flatten the data I need to be able to create Lists of Record Names in order to expand tables and columns.

Where I'm stuck; I have:

• A column that has Record Values in each row.
  • I want to extract the Field Names from each Row and build a List of all Record Names. I will then use that list in a function to expand the record column dynamically.

I'm trying to use Record.FieldName to extract the data, so far I have this:

(Tbl as table, ColumnName as text) =>

let
    #"KeepColumns" = Table.SelectColumns(Tbl, ColumnName), //reduce table to only column of interest
    #"GetRecordFields" = Table.AddColumn(#"KeepColumns", "RecordFields", each Record.FieldNames(ColumnName)) //get Record Field names as list

in
    #"GetRecordFields"

My understanding is that Record.FieldNames should return a list of the Field Names in each row. However, the function fails with "Can't Covert <ColumnName> to type Record. I'm assuming that means that it is not liking the result coming from Record.FieldNames. I assume I need a list function here, but not sure what. I do know that I eventually want to use Table.ExpandListColumn to generate a row for each Field name.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KT_Bsmart2gethe
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Anonymous ,

The syntax for look like > Record.FieldNames([ColumnNames]). To have your syntax work, you need to update your syntax to Record.FieldNames(Record.Field(_,ColumnNames)).

Regards

KT

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KT_Bsmart2gethe
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Anonymous ,

The syntax for look like > Record.FieldNames([ColumnNames]). To have your syntax work, you need to update your syntax to Record.FieldNames(Record.Field(_,ColumnNames)).

Regards

KT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant! At first pass that seems to do what I need it to!

So basically, I need to get the record, to then extract the fields? Can you explain the underscore syntax, is that a shortcut for basically saying use the current record?

Cheers and thanks!!

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you deal with dynamic column names, it either comes as "ColumnName" or [ColumnName].

when you declare the variable as a text, it works for syntax "ColumnName" but not within the square bracket. So, you need Record.Field(_, "ColumnNames"). The underscore means each of the fields within a record.

I hope above explainable is clear for you 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors