Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Expression.Evaluate(_, #shared) in PowerBI Service

Hello,

I'm searching for an explanation of the following problem:

I'm developing a lot of PowerQuery queries and recently, I had to use Expression.Evaluate:

Expression.Evaluate("my expression using the internal function Text.Upper ", #shared)

It works in Power BI Desktop. When I publish my dataset to PBI Service (Premium) and let it refresh, the following error comes:

Shared.PNG

Does anybody have an idea why it doesn't work?

Actually, I have a workaround for my current case, but it is not a general solution:

Expression.Evaluate("my expression using the internal function Text.Upper ", [Text.Upper = Text.Upper])

EDIT: Or if you need a list of all Text.* function names in PowerQuery, you can create it manually in advanced and use it as a record for the new scope:

let
    Shared = #shared,
    TextFunctionNames = List.Select(Record.FieldNames(Shared), each Text.StartsWith(_, "Text.")),
    Result = List.Transform(TextFunctionNames, each _ & " = " & _ & ",")
in
    Result

Thank you very much for an explanation or a hint in advanced.

Best regards,

@Nolock 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Expression.Evaluate(_, #shared) in PowerBI Service

Hi @Nolock ,

There is an idea about that, Seemed that the function is not fully supported yet.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19683592-provide-full-support-for...

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Meanwhile you can use this workaround, if you're using many functions in your expression: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/05/17/automatically-create-function-record-for-expression-evalua...

..I know it's a pain Smiley Wink

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Nolock ,

There is an idea about that, Seemed that the function is not fully supported yet.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/19683592-provide-full-support-for...

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Thank you, @v-frfei-msft. I've voted for the idea.

Super User
Super User

Meanwhile you can use this workaround, if you're using many functions in your expression: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/05/17/automatically-create-function-record-for-expression-evalua...

..I know it's a pain Smiley Wink

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @ImkeF,

thank you.

In the end, I've solved this problem with creating a list of all Text functions. 

let
    Shared = #shared,
    TextFunctionNames = List.Select(Record.FieldNames(Shared), each Text.StartsWith(_, "Text.")),
    Result = List.Transform(TextFunctionNames, each _ & " = " & _ & ",")
in
    Result

The list is stored in a utility group, the load is disabled and I just copy all the values of the list into a record. This record, let's call it "All text functions scope", is then used like: Expression.Evaluate("my expression", #"All text functions scope").

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 308 members 3,182 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: