Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

janihenr
Frequent Visitor

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number. mysteriously appeared

I'm working in an ERP reporting project and I have relatively complex PBI and PQ set with dozens of tables and processing steps.

Everything were fine until yesterday when I started to get error Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number from several different phases of the processing steps. What makes no sense is that the phases where the error occurs is not how it normally is.

So, this is the end result from one of the tables I'm processing

janihenr_0-1619865978874.png

In the middle of the process eveything works fine. Here is the column item list I suspect is the reason for the errors:

janihenr_1-1619866080841.png

No problems there. This is the applied step #16

The next step #17 is about filtering some rows based on completely other column and which does not have anything to do with the salesorderItem column:

"= Table.SelectRows(#"Added invoicingPeriodWorkingDays", each [invoicingPeriodStarts] <= [invoicingPeriodEndDate])"

And now, when I look at the salesorderItem column after the step #17 I get :

janihenr_4-1619866504788.png

There it is. 

Anyone having seen similar behavior? Is this a memory related problem? Is there any way to get better insight what could cause this?

Jani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
janihenr
Frequent Visitor

OK, I finally managed to solve this issue. Error message was in the end misleading.

The error "Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number" happened already in earlier steps. For some reason it got expanded to all the columns at the later steps.

The root cause was unexpected values in the code list merged in earlier steps.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
palash15
Frequent Visitor

None of this worked for me. Try this:

1. Find the step tranformation step where this error start appearing.

2. go to one step above that (a point where the error does not exist)
3. Select all columns and click "Remove Errors"
4. Go to the next step and the error should be gone.

This seem to work for my transformations.

allenabraham
Frequent Visitor

Finding the source of error is the key to solving the issue. 

One of the ways I found helpful for finding the offending row is to use the "Keep Errors" option and understand the nature of the issue. The next step I take is to replace the error with null. This might or might not be of help to you. 

hanmahham

For troubleshooting errors in PBI Power Query Editor, I will extract previous steps (right click on the step where you receive the error) and from there its easier to understand the issue... 

RobertSlattery
Resolver III
Resolver III

This happens if there is a step that causes some field in as few as one record to return an error and then a subsequent step does a Grouping that includes the column containing the error result.  For example an AddColumn step.  To find the issue, use Keep Errors to check the steps that might be returning occasional error values.

mbasha_123
Frequent Visitor

Hi 
when I am trying to Refresh with more than 70k records its throws errors like

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type List.
Details:
Value=
Type=[Type]

mbasha_123_0-1668156752465.png

Can someone resolve my issue Please

mtsa225
Regular Visitor

I had a similar issue. I noticed there was one row that was blank/null. I removed it by going Home -> Remove Rows -> Remove Blank Row, and then re-doing whatever transformation I neeed to do before getting the error, and am no longer recieving an error.

Here is the PowerBI article I used to fix my issue - Remove blank/null rowsSolved: Delete all the row when there is null in one colum... - Microsoft Power BI Community

ctedesco3307
Resolver II
Resolver II

Are there any other ideas for this? I;m getting the same thing - query is super simple and I checked there are no issues 

ctedesco3307_0-1654608344955.png

ctedesco3307_1-1654608397180.png

janihenr
Frequent Visitor

OK, I finally managed to solve this issue. Error message was in the end misleading.

The error "Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number" happened already in earlier steps. For some reason it got expanded to all the columns at the later steps.

The root cause was unexpected values in the code list merged in earlier steps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please validate if you have any measure with null values in your model.  If yes, try to replace the null per 0 or filter it out.

It can be a possible solution to this error.

Regards,

HOW DID YOU SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I'M IN TROUBLE WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. HELP ME~

Check each step for errors, it may be your data source. I had this error with a query that referenced another query (query A is the referenced query, query B is the query showing the error). Query A has a conditional column I added, but the data source was missing data in the column targeted by the conditional column. Query A loaded but with errors. Query B references A, but won't load because the errors in the conditional column don't permit query B to download the data. I fixed query A, and this cleared the error in query B.

Hello,

I would recommend to follow RobertP22's advice. If I remember correctly, the error happened in completely different columns which I was then processing at the later stages. There was nothing wrong in the column which I was processing at the later stages, but for some reason the error was raised by PQ there. Hopefully you get it solved!

BR,

Jani

Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @janihenr 

It might be UI did not load the error (limited rows), you can enable Column quality to see if any error and try to do some error handling?

Vera_33_0-1619874512762.png

Hi Vera,

Thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately column quality indicator displays no error as seen from the below:

janihenr_0-1619887703658.png

I have also tried to Remove Error, Remove Blank Rows, Keep Errors etc,

All I get is

janihenr_1-1619887814005.png

Normally you would get the errorneous rows visible and get more information what's going on but not in this case.

Jani

Right Click on the Column which has errors and Click on "Drill Down" which removes Error.

This weird step in fact helped me!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors