cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janihenr
Frequent Visitor

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number. mysteriously appeared

I'm working in an ERP reporting project and I have relatively complex PBI and PQ set with dozens of tables and processing steps.

Everything were fine until yesterday when I started to get error Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number from several different phases of the processing steps. What makes no sense is that the phases where the error occurs is not how it normally is.

So, this is the end result from one of the tables I'm processing

janihenr_0-1619865978874.png

In the middle of the process eveything works fine. Here is the column item list I suspect is the reason for the errors:

janihenr_1-1619866080841.png

No problems there. This is the applied step #16

The next step #17 is about filtering some rows based on completely other column and which does not have anything to do with the salesorderItem column:

"= Table.SelectRows(#"Added invoicingPeriodWorkingDays", each [invoicingPeriodStarts] <= [invoicingPeriodEndDate])"

And now, when I look at the salesorderItem column after the step #17 I get :

janihenr_4-1619866504788.png

There it is. 

Anyone having seen similar behavior? Is this a memory related problem? Is there any way to get better insight what could cause this?

Jani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
janihenr
Frequent Visitor

OK, I finally managed to solve this issue. Error message was in the end misleading.

The error "Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number" happened already in earlier steps. For some reason it got expanded to all the columns at the later steps.

The root cause was unexpected values in the code list merged in earlier steps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
janihenr
Frequent Visitor

OK, I finally managed to solve this issue. Error message was in the end misleading.

The error "Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Number" happened already in earlier steps. For some reason it got expanded to all the columns at the later steps.

The root cause was unexpected values in the code list merged in earlier steps.

View solution in original post

Vera_33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @janihenr 

It might be UI did not load the error (limited rows), you can enable Column quality to see if any error and try to do some error handling?

Vera_33_0-1619874512762.png

janihenr
Frequent Visitor

Hi Vera,

Thanks for the comment.

Unfortunately column quality indicator displays no error as seen from the below:

janihenr_0-1619887703658.png

I have also tried to Remove Error, Remove Blank Rows, Keep Errors etc,

All I get is

janihenr_1-1619887814005.png

Normally you would get the errorneous rows visible and get more information what's going on but not in this case.

Jani

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - September 30th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Kudoed Authors