cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBM Visitor
Visitor

Re: Expression.Error: The key did not match any rows in the table

Here's what worked for me:

- Have your replacement source file (e.g. excel file) ready to go.  Make sure the file name and sheet names are the same.  

- Then in PBI, in the Fields panel, right-click on the troublesome field.  Delete it.  The graph it populates will be replaced by a placehoulder saying "Something's wrong with one or more fields. Fix This".  DON'T DO ANYTHING to the graph at this point.

- Instead, imediately click on Get Data.  Select the new file and in a moment or two your graph should re-populate with the new data, and even retain the original formatting (e.g. colors, etc.).  Hope this works for you.  

erik-- Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I ran into this error and learned that the navigation step was referring to a SQL table and that the table name was case significant.   I had changed the database table from "sales" to "Sales" and ran into the thread title error both from PowerBI on my desktop and PowerBI web service.   I capitalized the table name in the navigation step and everything went back to working as it previously was.

erik-- Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I ran into this error and learned that the navigation step in the query was referring to a SQL table and that the table name was case significant.   I had changed the database table from "sales" to "Sales" and ran into the thread title error both from PowerBI on my desktop and PowerBI web service.   I capitalized the table name in the navigation step and everything went back to working as it previously was.  Different cause, but wanted to share my experience and fix.  

numbus Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Again, a different cause  - similar to Erik's post -the user's permissions were accidentally altered on a SQL Server database so that the table was no longer available (ie no SELECT was granted) and the error will occur. Can reproduce error (SQL 2014 and 2016). So check your table permissions just in case something has changed.

dheer1688 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi,

My datasource is google analytics, I'm getting same error.

From last 2 months query working fine but all of sudden this error pop up.

Anybody have any Idea what can I do.

Thanks in advance.

AlexTandem Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

hi!

i had the same problem and i guess found solution.

if you use two google accounts (gmail) you should have two bi online accounts.

Mamerion Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I'm connecting to a data source on SQL server and faced the same "key didn't match" issue. tried all suggestions from community and almost anything from net, but none has worked for me. 

After 7 hours of research and trial and error, I discovered something related to my credential on SQL server that was causing this issue.  I'm not sure why the "db_owner" was unticked!(might be due to the patching updates on the server) I checked the box then refreshed the report and now it is working as normal. 

PowerBI The Key did not match Solution.JPGIn SQL management Studio, navigate to the Databases\[database name]\Security\Users\ and double click on the userID to open the "Database User" window, then select the "membership" from the left side of the window.

I am the dabase owner so the db_owner is ticked, if you are not an owner, then make sure that at least the "db_datareader" is checked.

Hoping it helps you to save heaps of troubleshooting time.

Regards,

M

ThomVF Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I just wanted to thank you for your post.  It helped me solve my issue.

I have my gateway configured to use a specific user on my SQL Server database.  This user did not have db_owner set.  Once I set that, my refreshes started working fine.  I was thrown off bc the refreshes were working from Power BI Desktop but not in the Service.

Of course, these errors are so cryptic, you could spend a whole week trying to figure out what the heck they mean.

Anyhow, you saved me a lot of time and I thank you.

Mamerion Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Good to hear that it helped you to resolve the issue Smiley Happy

jlilleystone Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I had this same issue and in my case it turned out to be permissions on the SQL views. As soon as I added the correct permissions to the views using SQL management studio - BOOM - worked fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 521 members 4,098 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: