Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mhennessy

Exporting Daily Data

Hi. I currently read a series of data across multiple sheets and append into a query and then display using Power BI.

This information changes daily.

What I am wanting to do is take elements of this daily data and store in a file so I can then run information relating to trends. (This will save reading lots of data from lots of files unneccesarily).

For example;

Value1      Value2       Value3

Day 1        1               2               2

Day 2        1               3               4

Day 3        1               5               4

Has anyone performed the function of writing data to the same file, but on new rows each day, and is this the best way to tackle this challenge?

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mhennessy 

Not sure if i understand you correctly,

you connect to a folder where many daily files are stored, you append these daily data in power bi and generate a big table with all daily data.

Then you want to export the table(with all daily data) to a file, everyday when new data is updated into Power BI, the file which is exported to should also update with new data.

Correct?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft and thanks for the response.

In essence, yes.

For the daily data that is appended, this is transformed and displayed within PowerBI. I would like to take the data (not necessarily all) and record these data fields in a seperate table and then read from this table to display trend information such as average daily total etc.

Many thanks.

Hi @mhennessy 

Sorry, i'm not very clear about your requirements.

You could find some links how to update new data and how to show daily data on reports.

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2020/04/13/keep-the-existing-data-in-your-power-bi-dataset-and-add-new-...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZT4TT0S_4k

Best Regards

Maggie

@v-juanli-msft many thanks for the response.

In order to simplfy the explanation of my requirement;

I have a table formulated within PowerBI consisting of a number of measures, where the measures are calculated values from my original dataset. 

The information in the table changes daily and I would like to take an automatic export of this daily data and write to a further table to then trend on a day-by-day basis.

I trust that this clarifies the matter?

Regards,

mhennessy

There isn't a native way in Power BI to take periodic snapshots of your data; however, if you are familiar with (or up for learning some) Power Automate, there are a few ways to do it.  Once it's in your Flow, you can add rows to an existing Excel table, create new daily files you could aggregate easily later, etc.  Please let me know if you'd like more information on that approach.

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks @mahoneypat 

Always happy to learn!

Further information would b egreatly appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors