Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

burgesst
Frequent Visitor

Export from Excel 2016 missing upload and export options, only dataset created

In Excel 2016, there is a 'Publish to Power BI' option.  It says you need to first save it to OneDrive for Business, and then you will be given the option to 'upload' or 'export'.

Well, I've saved it to OneDrive for Business, and now the publish option only shows a 'publish' button, not a choice of 'upload' or 'export' like the instructions say.

And when it's done, I only get a dataset inside Power BI, nothing that looks like the PowerPivot I built.

What am I doing wrong, please?

InstructionsInstructionsRealityReality

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-from-excel/?ui=en-US&rs=en...

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @burgesst,

I test the scenario as yours and everything works as expected. Firstly, I store an excel file to OneDrive for business using “Upload” option in OneDrive, then open the excel file from OneDrive for business via “open in Excel” option and click Publish, I get the Upload and Export options as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

In your scenario, please make sure that the account you use to sign in to Office, OneDrive for Business, and Power BI is the same account, also check other requirements following the instructions in this article. Once the upload option is available in your Excel, you are able to see PivotTables and Charts in Power BI after you use Upload option to get workbook into Power BI.

In addition, is your Excel file is saved as .xlsx file? How about using the "Get Data > File > OneDrive for Business >Connect, Manage and View Excel in Power BI "option to upload your workbook?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, thanks for replying.  I have followed your instructions, but nothing really changed.

I still only get 'publish' not 'upload' or 'export'.  Interestingly, the icon is the same as the 'upload' on on yours.

Interestingly, if I have an Excel sheet with a PowePivot and a Powerview, the 'publish' option does work, but the PowerPivot comes through blank, and only the Powerview is there.  And it does refresh via the personal gateway.

If I use your 'get data' method, I get both the PowerPivot and the Powerview, but it is just a view of the Excel sheet and does not refresh unless the sheet is re-saved.  Is that right ?

Thanks!

Hi @burgesst,

I am not able to reproduce your issue using Excel. I would recommend you use the "Get Data > File > OneDrive for Business >Connect, Manage and View Excel in Power BI "option  instead, which is pretty same as the upload option in Excel 2016.

When you make changes to Excel, once you save, those changes will be updated in Power BI too, usually within about an hour. For more details about refreshing a dataset created from an Excel workbook on OneDrive, please review this article:https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-excel-file-onedrive/.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors