Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Expanding column after left join shuffles values in single column

Hi all, 

I cant figure out what is going on in the case below. Hope somebody can tell me what I might be doing wrong. 

So I merged two tables based on the columns "UOKey" and "RepetitionNr". So far so good, when I check the individual rows, the join was succesfully performed, just as an example, see that row 1 matches up nicely (UOKey and RepNr). All other rows do too. 

image.png

Now when I try to expand the rows, something strange happens. The columns in the row "EVENT_TIME", seem to shuffle for now clear reason. I assume that since I am only expanding, all rows of my UnitOperationStart (The starting table for the join), should remain tied together. But when I expand, see that the event times seem to shuffle, e.g. RepetitionNr 1, for UOKey "EMZ239D1BBRE521625LEGEN" first had event time 06:03:51, after expanding, it has 14:16:31 (see below) .

image.png

I would not expect this to happen. Why doesnt row 1 (or any row with repetition nr 1 and uokey "EMZ239D1BBRE521625LEGEN" still have EVENT_TIME 06:03 and the merged EVENT_TIME.1 of 06:39.38)? 

Please help me, this is driving me bonkers! Thanks in advance

Here is my code from the advanced editor 

let
    Source = UnitOperationStart,
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"BatchID", "Unit", "UnitOperation", "Label"}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Removed Columns", {"UOKey", "RepetitionNr"}, UnitOperationEnd, {"UOKey", "RepetitionNr"}, "UnitOperationEnd", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Queries",{{"EVENT_TIME", type datetime}}),
    #"Expanded UnitOperationEnd" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Changed Type", "UnitOperationEnd", {"EVENT_TIME", "RepetitionNr"}, {"EVENT_TIME.1", "RepetitionNr.1"})
in
    #"Expanded UnitOperationEnd"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

I just got an ideia...

How about if you Group, Sort and add the index column (those 2 last inside the [Data] column instead of sort / group / index ?

Like:

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Sorted Rows", {"UnitOperationKey"}, {{"Data", each Table.AddIndexColumn(Table.Sort(_,{"StartTime"} ), "SequenceNr", 1,1), type table [UnitOperationKey=text, NoOfRepetitionsOfUO=number, StartTime=datetime, BatchID=text, Unit=text, Label=text, UnitOperation=text, SequenceNr=number]}})

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors