Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Expanding Dates List to Have Months Start Only

Hi Guys,

I seek your support please.

I have 2 DateTime columns in my query, they are labelled as: 1) "From" and 2) "To"

What I need to do is to create a list which by expanding, I get new column that has the involved months starts.

For instance, in case I have entry in "From" Column that got the value: 12/7/2020 12:00:00 Am and entry in "To" Column that got the value: 3/15/2021 12:00:00 AM, so the custom column created from the list should have the entries:

12/1/2020

1/1/2021

2/1/2021

3/1/2021

How could I do that?

I have a script that could expand for me a custom column by with interval of 1 day each, it is as follows:

List.Dates(DateTime.Date([From]),Duration.Days(DateTime.Date([To])- DateTime.Date([From]))+1,Duration.From(1))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Here you go.  🙂

jennratten_0-1658836911312.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTSN9c3MjAyUDA0sjIwACIFx1wlHSVjfUNTkLghkrivUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [From = _t, To = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"From", type datetime}, {"To", type datetime}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "ListDates", each List.Distinct(List.Transform ( List.Dates(DateTime.Date([From]),Duration.Days(DateTime.Date([To])- DateTime.Date([From]))+1,Duration.From(1)), each Date.StartOfMonth(_))))
in
    #"Added Custom"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Here you go.  🙂

jennratten_0-1658836911312.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTSN9c3MjAyUDA0sjIwACIFx1wlHSVjfUNTkLghkrivUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [From = _t, To = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"From", type datetime}, {"To", type datetime}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "ListDates", each List.Distinct(List.Transform ( List.Dates(DateTime.Date([From]),Duration.Days(DateTime.Date([To])- DateTime.Date([From]))+1,Duration.From(1)), each Date.StartOfMonth(_))))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors