Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Criamon
Frequent Visitor

Exchange connector - Microsoft Account vs. exchange authentication.

Greetings.  I've got an excel PQ implementation pulling data from an exchange email account.  The account isn't the user's but one the user has rights to.  So this means we're authenticating with the Microsoft account.  

The problem is, sometimes the user's current session isn't getting picked up in the query and it throws an error.  When you go to debug, all you need to do is get to the authentication type dialoge through the source and re-choose Microsoft account and then it works.  

A work-around we've found is that if the user sign's onto 365 through the browser before running the query the authenticate session is caught by the query and there's no error.

So the question is, is there a way to write the query so as to direct authentication to the windows session?  At first I thought this wasn't possible but then I was looking at this example and it looks like it has elements that might be useful toward what I'd like:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/handlingauthentication

Anyone with any thoughts that might help?  Much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Criamon 

If you connect to Exchange with Microsoft Exchange Online connector, it is impossible to write a query to skip the Windows authentication step.

If you create a query in Power Query to get data from Exchange, it may be possible as said as the article you provided.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors