Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

olivier

Excel won't refresh and error says needs personal gateway even though all data is online

Hi,

I'm getting the following error when trying to refresh an excel workbook which is connected to:

• Several SQL server databases via PowerQuery, loaded into PowerPivot
  • Several excel workbooks, loaded into PowerPivot

All of my workbooks are in Onedrive for business so my question is why do I need a personal gateway?  All my sources are online.

Also, i had sucesseful refreshes until last Thursday, Aug 13th and I don't believe I changed anything about the connections since then.

I've tried to reupload the dataset and am getting the same error.

Do you know what's causing the error? Please help..thanks!

2015-08-20 08_47_22-Power BI.png

3 REPLIES 3

As long as all you Excel workbooks are not referencing anything on-prem, and the sql server you mention is in azure - you shouldn't need a gateway. If anything references an on-prem data source, you would need one.

I'd check to make sure nothing references on-prem, if all is online - submit a service request following these directions.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for your response.  I've confirmed nothing is on prem so will reach out to submit a ticket. Thanks again.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

in your power query, are you connecting using a regular SQL SErver option or Azure SQL option.. Both work for azure but i think only the latter does not require the gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors