Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bbrowne

Excel file in OneDrive Won't Refresh (Data is from Dynamics CRM Dynamics Worksheet)

I created an excel file (xlsx) from Dynamics CRM as a dynamic worksheet. I added it to OneDrive business and it still gives me a warning that I can't schedule a refresh for this type of data set.

I thought files from OneDrive can be refreshed.

I was hoping to be able to make changes in CRM, then go to this XLS and click to Refresh from CRM to sync the file with the latest data in CRM. From there, I could refresh data in PowerBI and all is current everywhere.

I'm not sure why it's not working - any ideas?

The warning I'm getting is saying I don't have any data model connections - just like the warning you get with a direct Excel upload.

2 REPLIES 2
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi - there's two data movements happening here (CRM -> Excel on Onedrive -> Power BI). When you configure the automatic refresh through Power BI, it can only do that with Excel data model connections (AKA Power Pivot). If the CRM connection is made through an addin (I don't remember 100% but I think that's how CRM connections are made) we can't automate the refresh. What you can do is open Excel and refresh from there, then re-publish to OneDrive. Power BI will detect the updates and refresh the data in your reports/dashboards from there.

HTH

Will

+1 for me on this topic - am hoping this is in scope for the long term? Would be great to be able to build reports using Advanced Find and somehow either allow scheduled refresh for Dynamic Workbooks exported from CRM, OR, if support for Fetch XML queries in PBIDesktop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors