Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

datasetleo
Helper I
Helper I

Excel Power Query - Data Source Settings - Sharepoint - Clearing permissions on file open

Hi, All!

I am testing pulling data from Sharepoint. Data is pulling correctly to power query.

I am using "organization account" settings, but they get stored once I close the file.

Is there a way to clear permissions once Excel file is closed so that once Excel file is open back up, user should sign in to sharepoint?

I managed to manually clear permissions with  data source settings, but I wonder if there is a way to ask for sharepoint sign in once file is open to ensure only people from organization have access to the data?

Thanks!

Snag_2e5b9d.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @datasetleo 

I think this is a doubled post.. however ... 🙂

as far as I know, the credentials are not stored in the file, but on the profile of the computer. So, as soon you pass the file to another computer or the file is opened by another profile, the credentials are no longer there and have to enter the credentials as soon as a refresh is executed.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @datasetleo 

I think this is a doubled post.. however ... 🙂

as far as I know, the credentials are not stored in the file, but on the profile of the computer. So, as soon you pass the file to another computer or the file is opened by another profile, the credentials are no longer there and have to enter the credentials as soon as a refresh is executed.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Makes pefect sense. But then when the file is opened by another user on another computer, why Excel automatically goes into anonymous mode and then fails query refresh instead of asking the user to choose how to sign in correctly? Any controls to change this?

this would be useful for me to know too.... I have mine connected to a D365 environment, and it doesnt automatically prompt the diferent user to enter their credentials when they try to reresh the data, just throws up access errors 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors