Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RachidRezgui

Excel Integration with Power BI

Hello,

I need to integrate an excel file (shared with coworkers) into Power Bi in a secure way. This is currently not possible. I have to make the link public to be able to get the data through Power BI. 

Can someone help? Where should I host the file and how can I access it?

My problem is as follows: we have a database that many coworkers are working on and constanlty updating. It has sensitive information and we need to generate reports that we share with each other.  Is there a way to host this data securely on the cloud or on a server so that only selected coworkers can edit the database. Power BI needs to access the data weekly and update reports accordingly.

Thank you,

Rachid

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RachidRezgui 

"we have a database that many coworkers are working on and constanlty updating",

Which database you use?

Many coworkers can only edit data which their permission is granted inside this database, right?

If so, you could connect data from this database with Power bi Desktop, create reports and publish to Power bi service.

Publish from Power BI Desktop

Ways to share your work in Power BI

Share your Power BI dashboards and reports with coworkers and others

In addition, please let me know which database you use to store data so that i can provide tips how to make a connection.

Then you could create RLS for the dataset so that when you share reports with others they could only see their granted data.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Row-Level Security in Power BI: Part 1 – Roles and Users

As for "Power BI needs to access the data weekly and update reports accordingly", it is possible to configure schedule refresh with a on-premise gateway.

Configuring scheduled refresh

Install a gateway for Power BI

Manage a Power BI on-premises gateway

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors