Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdbusselman
Frequent Visitor

Excel File storage location

Our current environment we are utilizing Office 365 and have recently started working with Power BI and deploying reports/dashboards out to Workgroups.  If I have an excel file on my desktop that I connect to in a Power BI report and deploy the report, a dataset gets created in the Workgroup on Office 365.

When I review the Report, it looks like what I've created on my desktop.

For the dataset that was created out in Office 365 that the report uses with the excel data,

• Is the data still in that dataset? 
  • If so, where exactly is the data stored if the dataset is out in Power BI on Office 365?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jdbusselman,

What do you mean that a dataset gets created in the Office 365 Workgroup? Do you connect to the Excel file in Power BI app workspace? If so, currently, creating app workspaces in Power BI create corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces do. You can review this article to get more details.

In addition, when you load data from Excel to Power BI, the data is in the dataset, and Power BI uses two primary repositories for storing and managing data: data that is uploaded from users is typically sent to Azure BLOB storage, and all metadata as well as artifacts for the system itself are stored in Azure SQL Database. For more details, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jdbusselman,

What do you mean that a dataset gets created in the Office 365 Workgroup? Do you connect to the Excel file in Power BI app workspace? If so, currently, creating app workspaces in Power BI create corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces do. You can review this article to get more details.

In addition, when you load data from Excel to Power BI, the data is in the dataset, and Power BI uses two primary repositories for storing and managing data: data that is uploaded from users is typically sent to Azure BLOB storage, and all metadata as well as artifacts for the system itself are stored in Azure SQL Database. For more details, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors