Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

solarpolygon

Excel.CurrentWorkbook() sees a table that is not visible in the source. Namespace problem?

I have a Source command in a PowerQuery that looks like this:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],

I do not see a table named "Table2" in the Workbook. If I change "Name" to any other table name I know exists in the workbook, I get an error.

When I try to create a new Data Source in another workbook and choose Excel Workbook and then this particular workbook as the data source, it shows me all the tables I know exist, plus this "Table2".

It gets weirder. I saved a copy of the original workbook, then deleted the query in the copy. Now queries I believed to be using the original workbook as the data source have stopped working, claiming the source worksheet "Table2" does not exist.

What have I misunderstood about the way PowerQuery works?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ehren
Employee
Employee

What do you see if, after opening the workbook that apparently contains the mystery table, you click Formulas -> Name Manager?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @solarpolygon ,

You can check your table names in name box:

5.png

Reference: Rename an Excel table

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Okay, there I see the table in question. If I select it, Excel jumps to a table that has a different name on the tab. Why is there this difference in the naming?

Maybe you have two names defined for overlapping or identical ranges?

Ehren
Employee
Employee

What do you see if, after opening the workbook that apparently contains the mystery table, you click Formulas -> Name Manager?

Okay, there I see the "Table2", which refers to a subregion of the Worksheet that excludes the headers.

I've been using Excel a long time, but this is the first time I've seen Name Manager. I guess I'd better read up on it 🙂

Hi @solarpolygon ,

Maybe you confuse Sheet and Table.😀

When you connect the excel file, you will see the tables and the sheets, and the tables are contained in the sheet.

vstephenmsft_0-1637052223926.png

vstephenmsft_1-1637052294918.png

If your problem is solved, please mark the helpful reply as the answer, and more people will benefit.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors