Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel 2016 Power Pivot Compatibility to Excel 2013

Good Day!  I know that Power Pivot for Excel 2013 is not backwards compatible to Excel 2011.  However can you mix and match Power Pivot files between Excel 2013 and 2016?  I looked online but didn't see anything specific.

As many of us and constrained due to corporate IT policies we may not be running on the latest version of a particular software.  In my company we started sharing reports on Excel 2013 thinking that most users would hopefulyl be going away from Excel 2011 by this point.  

However I recently learned that I may have the opportunity ot jump to Excel 2016 based on the other software tool that was keeping us contrained on Excel 2011.  I'm just wonder if I jump to Excel 2016 then will I be alienating my Excel 2013 users or will I still need to run with two version of Excel to keep everything in check?  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, we can open PowerPivot files of Excel 2016 in Excel 2013 and also there is no problem opening PowerPivot files of Excel 2013 in Excel 2016. In other words, you don’t need to run with two versions of Excel.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

So far so good!  I had my update to Excel 2016 installed on Wedendaay (3-May-2017).  I ran power pivot files in Excel 2016 yesterday (4-May-2017) then sent them to a coworker still on Excel 2013 and they ran without issue.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, we can open PowerPivot files of Excel 2016 in Excel 2013 and also there is no problem opening PowerPivot files of Excel 2013 in Excel 2016. In other words, you don’t need to run with two versions of Excel.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  It looks like I am on to Excel and Office 2016 today.  So glad it is backwards compatible to Excel 2013.  

Hi @Anonymous,

If the above reply solves your issue, please make it as answer. This way, other community members would easily find the solution when they get same issues.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

So far so good!  I had my update to Excel 2016 installed on Wedendaay (3-May-2017).  I ran power pivot files in Excel 2016 yesterday (4-May-2017) then sent them to a coworker still on Excel 2013 and they ran without issue.  

Hi @Anonymous,

You can mark multiple replies as answer. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors