Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Evaluate IF based on two columns and express in a third

Hello, Finishing up a two week project and excited that this is the last formula I need help with.  The problem is looking at two columns and based on the value, select one of four inputs for the fourth. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Target.JPG

Here is what I have so far: 

IF('Main'[Target Business Area]=Store && 'Main'
[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]<7 then "Below Store" else 0
IF('Main'[Target Business Area]=Store && 'Main'[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]>12 then "Above" else 0
IF('Main'[Target Business Area]=Store && 'Main'[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]=7-12 then "In Target" ELSE IF
('Main'[Target Business Area]=Store && 'Main'

[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]<7 then "Below" else 0
IF('Main'[Target Business Area]=CC Ops && 'Main'[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]>12 then "Above" else 0
IF('Main'[Target Business Area]=CC Ops && 'Main'[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]=7-12 then "In Target" ELSE IF
('Main'[Target Business Area]=SSC && 'Main'

[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]<7 then "Below" else 0
IF('Main'[Target Business Area]=SSC && 'Main'[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]>12 then "Above" else 0
IF('Main'[Target Business Area]=SSC && 'Main'[#"Active+Open+Contractor"]=7-12 then "In Target" else 0)))
)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I figured it out by creating 6 additional measures in PBI. Appreciate the help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

Based on your description, I don't understand your logic. So if possible, could you please explain this to me in details?

764.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zoe, Thanks for the question. The [Target Business Area] and [Active+Open+Contractor] are both inputs. Each Target Business Area has its own target range which is why the numbers for "Store", "CC Ops", and "SSC" are different.  Previously the targets were all the same and so I just did the filtering in Power BI, but now with different targets, I need to do it in query as I can't tie variables together in PBI. Hope that helps. 

Add Column... Custom Column

Your last target range for SSC is wrong, should say 16+

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I figured it out by creating 6 additional measures in PBI. Appreciate the help.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power query uses lowercase if ... then ... else and doesn't use braces. It also uses "and"  and "or"  ("&&"  and "||"  are used in DAX)

Speaking of DAX - that has a SWITCH () function which would make your logic look much nicer even though behind the scenes it would still do nested ifs.

Do you want a Power Query version or a DAX version?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking at using it in Power Query as I'll have a dataset that will automatically update. 

Will it need to be added as a custom column, or placed in advanced editor? Still learning the differences. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors