Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ttinsley
Resolver I
Resolver I

Error with Get Data from SharePoint Online document library - Expression.Error: The key didn't match

Text of error - Expression.Error: The key didn't match any rows in the table.
Details:
    Key=Record
    Table=Table

Context

I am attempting to connect Power BI Desktop instance to SharePoint Online document library.  The documents in this document library are rich with data.  I want that data in Power BI for reporting.

I AM able to successfully import lists that are NOT document libraries.

Steps

In query editor, I click "New Sources"

I click "more ..."

I click SharePoint Online List

I type the URL

I select the document library

Error 1 below is thrown

I Change the API version to 14 (based upon solution in this community)

I refreesh the data and recieve Error 2 below

Thanks so much for your help!

Error 1 - parse ODataError 1 - parse ODataError 2 - key didn't matchError 2 - key didn't match

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Found the solution.  Thanks to Christopher Woodill for posting

From his post ...

If you want to connect to your document libraries (for example if you wanted to report on the number of documents being uploaded) you can do this through the OData feed instead.

The URL for the OData feed is: https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc to bring up all the lists and document libraries in Power BI Desktop or if you want to connect to a specific list the URL will be: https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/ListName

Once you have created a connection to your list or document library, you can use the table of items as a data source and create dashboards and reports based on this data.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Have you tried using the "SharePoint Folder" data connector and putting in the root of the site?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for the response!

So, I was able to connect that way, but was showing ALL files.  However, I figured out how to just pull the files from the document library I care about.  So that's good.

The bad news is it is not pulling over the custom data fields we created for the document library where all the powerful information lives.

GoodBad Doc Lib Load Power bi.png

Same issue here.  I can connect at the top level of the site or subsite and filter by library in the Query editor, but no MetaData loads.  As far as OData, rights management doesn't seem to work for me through that path as it doesn't allow me to access the sharepoint site through the OData connector.

Found the solution.  Thanks to Christopher Woodill for posting

From his post ...

If you want to connect to your document libraries (for example if you wanted to report on the number of documents being uploaded) you can do this through the OData feed instead.

The URL for the OData feed is: https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc to bring up all the lists and document libraries in Power BI Desktop or if you want to connect to a specific list the URL will be: https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/ListName

Once you have created a connection to your list or document library, you can use the table of items as a data source and create dashboards and reports based on this data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors