Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mckinzie

Error when trying to connect to IBM DB2

I'm getting an error when trying to connect to our IBM DB2 database.  I removed the IP in the error below.  Anyone have any ideas? I don't see anywhere to enter a port number if we need to.

Details: "IBM DB2: ERROR [08001] [IBM] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "IP removed". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10061", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001
<br>"

10 REPLIES 10
robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

I'm getting a similar (I think) error:

"IBM DB2: ERROR [08001] [IBM] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "SSL". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "SOCKETS". Communication function detecting the error: "sqlccSSLSocketSetup". Protocol specific error code(s): "410", "", "". SQLSTATE=08001"

At a minimum I'd desperately like to know which of the following I need to focus my attention on to fix this: my company's DBA group, local machine (i.e., software set-up/configurtion issues), or Microsoft's Power BI team (maybe a connector flaw?).

By default when you choose IBM Provider the "Encrypt Connections" is still checked by Power BI Desktop.  Here is what i did to get it working.

> Go to File --> Options and settings -> Data source Setting.

> You would see the Data source for which you recieved this error.

> Select the data source and select "Edit Permissions"

> You would notice "Encrypt connections", Uncheck it.

> Click Ok and close.

> Start over, by getting data from DB2 and provide same data source information. This time you would not get "Protocol specific error code(s): 410.

I notice that if you use .Net provider when you select DB2 the .Net Provide prompt you to disable the encryption and hence the .Net provider will work.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to connect Power BI with IBM DB2 for Direct Query. The required driver has been installed but it still cannot connect to IBM DB2 server. When I tried to connect with Microsoft .Net Framework, it is not connecting as well. I checked in the command prompt, and it shows .net framework 4.8 is being installed wherein, 4.5 or higher verison is required. Can anyone please help me on this?

I am countered with the below error:- 

"Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10061", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001"

This is a refused connection on the DB2 side for the 10061 error. usually means wrong port number.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21164785

410 is another error and it states SSL error.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could try [IP]:[Port] for the server entry. Have a look at these two articles for a warning about Windows 8 and DB2 (not sure if you are using Windows 😎

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-to-an-IBM-DB2-database-Power-Query-0163e2e8-2944-4f...

And this one for troubleshooting connectivity:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/powerbisupport/archive/2014/01/09/connectivity-101.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the responses!  I have tried using the [IP]:[Port] and [Servername]:[Port].  I'm on Windows 7.  Thank you smoupre, I'll check out those links.

I'll post back when a resolution is found.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mckinzie,

Did you finish your test ? Something new on your issue ?

Thanks,

Alexander.

HI,

I tested servername:port, but still the same error.

I tried " telnet servername port" to see if there was a firewall issue, but that test is ok.

servername : port gave another error (The service "port" was not found)

I have windows 7.

Br

Hello @ElsD and @Greg_Deckler

Any resolution on this??

PowerBIGuy
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Have you tired using [servername]:[portnumber] as the server name?

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors