Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kristofferaabo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Error trying to get data from Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Hi!

I have exported a XML file from microsoft CRM with a simple list of data I want to connect to PowerBI. However it wont let me see the data in columns.

I have tried to things:

1. Connect the XML file directly as a XML source. 

this brings me a number of sheets to select which I can't recognize from the data pull. Moreover there's no data in any of them..

xml_ex.jpg

2. As a second option I tried to save the XML file into a excel file and add that, this looks better, it suggest the sheet I needed and a 'query' sheet. But again no data is available in any of the sheets...! I have tried to refresh, still nothing happens (no error messages about permissions og no connection either)... just no data!?

I hope you are able to help

Best 

Kristoffer

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

You can discover the URL of your organization following the instructions in this blog . After you get the "Organization Service" URL, for example, https://XXXX.api.crm8.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Organization.svc. Just simply add "Data" word to "Organization", so the URL will be https://XXXX.api.crm8.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/OrganizationData.svc, enter this URL in Power BI Desktop.

For your second question, could you please describe more details? In Power BI Desktop, you can use organizational account to connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM, you can check this similar blog to get more details. Dynamics CRM Online entry displayed in this blog has been changed to Dynamics 365 in the new release of Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi again!

thanks for this link, I found my organization service link. But I think I still need authorization,. I have made a ticket with IT regarding this.

Best regards

Kristoffer

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

You don't need to export XML file from CRM and connect to XML in Power BI Desktop.

Do you connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM online or on-premises Dynamics CRM from Power BI Desktop? 

If you connect to Dynamics CRM online, please use “Get Data->Dynamics 365” option in Power BI Desktop as shown in the following screenshot. You would need to enter the OrganizationData.svc URL and use oAuth2 authentication method to connect to the data source.
1.PNG

However, if you connect to on-premises Dynamics CRM, please use “Get Data->OData feed” option in Power BI Desktop as follows.
2.PNG

For more details about connecting to Dynamics CRM, please check the following articles.

{In Depth} Power BI and Dynamics CRM on-premise–When and how it works?
Use Power BI with Microsoft Dynamics 365

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI Lydia! Thanks for your reponse sounds quite straight forward but I'm not sure I have the rigtht authrozation for this, or perhaps the right versions avavilable.

Currently I'm only a read-only uder of our CRM system, I have made some simple lists (employee workload) which I want to link to powerbi and embed in sharepoint, or stand alone reports.

How do I get the OrganizationData.svc?

Secondly how can I connect CRM to microsoft 365 (which i can login to)

Does this makes sense?

Kristoffer

Hi @Kristofferaabo,

You can discover the URL of your organization following the instructions in this blog . After you get the "Organization Service" URL, for example, https://XXXX.api.crm8.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Organization.svc. Just simply add "Data" word to "Organization", so the URL will be https://XXXX.api.crm8.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/OrganizationData.svc, enter this URL in Power BI Desktop.

For your second question, could you please describe more details? In Power BI Desktop, you can use organizational account to connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM, you can check this similar blog to get more details. Dynamics CRM Online entry displayed in this blog has been changed to Dynamics 365 in the new release of Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi again!

thanks for this link, I found my organization service link. But I think I still need authorization,. I have made a ticket with IT regarding this.

Best regards

Kristoffer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors