Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

seeti

Error in configuring Power BI Gateway - Enterprise (Preview)

I have installed PBI enterprise gateway and signed in to PBI account successfully.

I found error in configuring as following:

Failed to update gateway details.  Please try again.
This request operation sent to net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00). The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message. Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(GatewayConfiguration configuration)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(GatewayConfiguration configuration)

I also found error in GatewayConfigurator log file.

EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Error: 0 : Exception: Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.FailedToUpdateGatewayException: Failed to update gateway details.  Please try again. ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClientException: Error updating gateway configuration. ---> System.TimeoutException: This request operation sent to net.pipe://localhost/powerbi/gatewayconfiguration/service did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:01:00). The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message. Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(GatewayConfiguration configuration)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(GatewayConfiguration configuration)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(CreateGatewayResponse createResponse, SecureString recoveryKey)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(CreateGatewayResponse createResponse, SecureString recoveryKey)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.ConfigureGateway(SecureString recoveryKey)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.DoOK(Object param)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardViewModelBase.DoOKWorker(Object param)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUXCommon.RelayCommand.<>c__DisplayClass6.<Execute>b__4()
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Basic validation of gateway name
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Configure gateway
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Recovery keys match
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Generating asymmetric key
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Build annotation and request
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : Create gateway
EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe Error: 0 : Exception: Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.CreateGatewayRequestException: Failed to create gateway. Please try again. ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIHttpRequestException: Request error: Id: '4c9e38a5-5bca-467f-8ea7-159dfbd01ff4', Status code: 'Forbidden', Timestamp: '01/21/2016 06:10:05 +00:00', ErrorCode: 'TokenExpired', Detail: ''
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<EnsureSuccessfulDMMSRequest>d__0.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.ExternalClient.PowerBIDataMovementClientExtensions.<CreateOrReplaceGatewayAsync>d__4.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.CreateGateway(CreateGatewayRequest request)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.ConfigureGateway(SecureString recoveryKey)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardServiceConfigurationViewModel.DoOK(Object param)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.WizardViewModelBase.DoOKWorker(Object param)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.GatewayUXCommon.RelayCommand.<>c__DisplayClass6.<Execute>b__4()

My PC information:

- Windows 7 SP1 64 bits. (VMWare)

- .Net framework 4.5.2

- IE 11

- Connect internet via proxy

Could you help me please?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

6 REPLIES 6
seeti

I go to PBI site. I see new gateway in PBI.

But it has an error.

Cannot reach the gateway.
Activity ID:e5a2c2a8-e67e-4287-8cf5-c37040d9905e
Request ID:bd9d805d-d5ce-e777-de95-183af199d669
Status code:400
Error Code:DM_GWPipeline_Client_GatewayUnreachable
Time:Fri Jan 22 2016 09:25:58 GMT+0700 (SE Asia Standard Time)
Version:13.0.800.220

Hi,

I have the same problem. Do you have a solution ?

Regards,

Sébastien

Hello Sebastien,

I think a problem is proxy setting.

I connected my PC to internet directly (in test environment).

I can configure gateway successfully.

But I would like to use it in my proxy system.

I have not found the solution yet.

Does anyone can help?

Thank you.

Hello,

I have a similar issue which I am investigating. Any help appreciated.

URI du cluster:https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Code d'état:400
Code d'erreur:DM_GWPipeline_Client_GatewayUnreachable
Heure:Fri Feb 19 2016 10:49:13 GMT+0100 (Romance Standard Time)
Version:13.0.800.492

a+,=)

-=Clement=-

Configuration:

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

VMware

No role configured

Logged as local administrator

WORKGROUP

Hi again,

I found a solution opening some ports on the firewall.

Please note this rule is not optimal and might be a potential security threat in current state.

I may later have time to reconfigure a less wide open rule.

Use at your own risk.

--run

--control

--windows firewall

--advanced settings

--outbound rules

--new rule

--Port

--next

--All remote ports

--next

--Allow the connection

--next

--When Does This Rule Apply?next

--name=myPowerBI ports

--Finish

--right click myPowerBI ports

--Properties

--Protocol and Ports

--Local Port=Specific Ports

--443, 5671, 5672, 9359, 9351, 9352, 9353, 9354

--Ok

a+,=)

-=Clement=-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I've managed to install and configure correctly the entreprise Gateway.

My solution is a bit customized but I think it can give ideas for all.

We have a SSAS installed on a VM stored in the cloud (google cloud), but within our Active Directory.

Since we've got Power BI, we have Azure Actie Directory. We synchronize both AD with Azure Active Directory Connect.

The SSAS VM has a public IP adress. 

We installed the entreprise Gateway on the SSAS VM, and the configuration was successfull (remind, if you've a French OS edition don't forget to rename the "Perfomance Counter Logs" group with the english name).

On Power BI the gateway was on and we manage to create data source connected to SSAS. After this, you can show your SSAS dashboard really easy, but don't forget to create AD account and give the correct role to SSAS.

The main things to remember is :

- be sure that the AD were synchronized

- the SSAS server is reachable from outside (public IP or Port redirection).

Sebastien

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors