Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TarifAlanazi
Helper II
Helper II

Error in column

Hi,

I have a column formated as text with 2 types of data. 1) 12345 and 2) AB123. Now I am looking for a way to have them in same column without Error

thanks  

17 REPLIES 17
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @TarifAlanazi ;

Is your problem solved?  If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to  close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

my problem is not solved

Hi, @TarifAlanazi ;

If the above one can't help you get the desired result, please provide some sample data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @TarifAlanazi ;

The same column can only have one type, because some values in a column in your data contain non-numeric characters, so it cannot be converted, if you can, can you give some examples and the result that this example hopes to output?

I don't  understand what you want to do.

Best Regards,

i want to change type of column to any so it will remove the Error so it can read of them 
1) 12345
2) AB123.
thanks

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @TarifAlanazi ;

You could create a custom column as follow:

=Value.FromText ( [Column] )

vyalanwumsft_1-1668583900942.png

vyalanwumsft_0-1668583886505.png

The final show:

vyalanwumsft_2-1668583919171.png

Best Regards,

TarifAlanazi_0-1668933097305.png

Hi, @TarifAlanazi ;

You could download this pbix. the result such as your said, Since I don't know if the specific operation of your file is consistent, I don't know the cause of the error, and if you can, you can only share the file.

vyalanwumsft_0-1669195298601.png

Best Regards,

Hi, @TarifAlanazi ;

Can you share error details or simple files? Too little information is known through pictures.

Best Regards,

TarifAlanazi_0-1669101210233.pngTarifAlanazi_1-1669101247629.png

TarifAlanazi
Helper II
Helper II

Last Applied Step in your query, like Source, ChangedType etc.

TarifAlanazi_0-1668505729109.png

AntrikshSharma
Community Champion
Community Champion

@TarifAlanazi Then you can add a new column and use Value.FromText.

Table.AddColumn ( PreviousStep, "TextOrInt", each Value.FromText ( [Column] ), type any )

TarifAlanazi_0-1668502377837.png

@TarifAlanazi Read the error! You are missing closing parenthesis and what is your previous step? use that in the first argument.

TarifAlanazi_0-1668503895272.png

what they mean about PreviousStep? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors