Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zeuslyone
Frequent Visitor

Error exporting data with underlying data

Every time I try to export underlying data for a report, I get an error: "Error exporting data". I've tried changing the visual (from stacked column to clustered) and even changed the aggregate format (count to count (distinct)). The only advice I've found in the community is to try changing the visuals.

I also tried downloading the Gateway tool and setting it up after checking my settings - the same sections that allow auto-refresh.

Does anyone have any further troubleshooting steps for me to try? If I need more in-depth support outside of the community, how do I contact that team?

Thanks,

Z

10 REPLIES 10
Bi2thelly
Helper I
Helper I

Was a resolution found for this? I am having similar issues.

zeuslyone
Frequent Visitor

Ironically, I tried it just now again and had it work the first time but then had it fail on a second attempt. It also failed for a colleague who has been trying to export the data for his use. I look forward to any further advice that others have for this thread.

Best,

Zeuslyone

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@zeuslyone,

What is your data source? Is there any possibility that you can share me the PBIX file so that I can test?

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hey Lydia,

How do I share the file with you? Is there some way we could private message about this?

Best,

Zeuslyone

@zeuslyone,

You can upload the PBIX file to OneDrive and send me the shared link via Private message.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia,

I've sent you the file through private message and look forward to any further assistance you can provide.

Thanks,

Zeuslyone

@zeuslyone,

Thanks for your PBIX file. I have no issues when exporting underlying data from your visual in the "Invalid Graph" page. All work as expected no matter how many times I export.

I would recommend you create a support ticket for your issue on the support.powerbi.com site. 

Regards,

Thank you, Lydia. I appreciate it. I'll do that.

Best,

Zeuslyone

@zeuslyone Are you running into any of the known limitations based on the article here? - listed below

Limitations and considerations

• The maximum number of rows that can be exported to .csv is 30,000.

• The maximum number of rows that can be exported to .xlsx is 30,000 (for Power BI Free users) and 150,000 (for Power BI Pro users).

• Power BI only supports export in visuals that use basic aggregates. Export is not available for visuals using model or report measures.

• Custom visuals, and R visuals, are not currently supported.

• If there is unicode in the .csv file, the text in Excel may not display properly. Although, opening it in Notepad will work fine. Examples of unicode are currency symbols and foreign words. the workaround for this is to import the csv into Excel, instead of opening the csv directly. To do this:

1. Open Excel
    2. From the Data tab, select Get external data > From text.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hello Eno1978,

Thanks for the info. As far as I can tell none of these apply, but this is great clarification.

Zeuslyone

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors