Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bjnodello
Helper II
Helper II

Error configuring Personal Gateway with SharePoint 2010 list

Hello All,

I am having issues scheduling a refresh for a SharePoint List.  I have no issues refreshing the data manually from within Power BI Desktop.

When scheduling the refresh I am prompted to provide credentials.  The credentials for my SQL Server connection work fine for this dataset, Entering credentials for the SharePoint List fails (error in image below).

This is not my area of expertise, but looks like it is getting caught up at some security pass through and not making it to the actual SharePoint site?  The URL in the error differs from the URL for the SharePoint site.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Brett

Capture.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bjnodello,

How do you connect to the SharePoint list from Power BI Desktop? When connecting to SharePoint list from Power BI Desktop, please firstly enter the URL of your SharePoint site as shown in figure 1, choose Windows authentication to sign in as shown in figure 2, then choose SharePoint list from Navigator.

1.PNG
                                          figure 1

2.PNG"

figure 2

After that, when you publish the dataset to Power BI Service,  then check if you are able to schedule refresh for the SharePoint list. You can check the example which I have tested successfully in my Power BI Service.
3.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft,

I am aware of how to connect to a SharePoint list.  I have the list connected and working in Power BI desktop.  My issue is that I cannot get the personal gateway to work with it.  If you look at the image in my post I get an error.  I do have the enterprise gateway working with this dataset.

Thanks,

Brett

Hi @bjnodello,

Based on my reserach, the error in your image could occur when entering wrong credential. Have you checked additional error when expending "Show details"?

Based on my test, when we enter correct credential in Power BI Desktop, there is no need to enter it again in personal gateway. Thus, we need to verify that if you enter root url of your sharepoint site in Power BI desktop and choose windows authentication.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft.

The dataset updated successfully using the Enterprise Gateway this morning.  When I switch over to the Personal Gateway it has an issue with the credentials and wants me to enter them.  I confirm the connection to my SQL Server database with no issues.  Here are the details of the error when I try to select Windows credentials with the SharePoint list.  Note that the URL in the error is not the same as the connection URL.  

Capture.PNG

Hi @bjnodello,

I test the scenario as yours that swtich from on-premises gateway to personal gateway. However, when using personal gateway, I still get the following screenshot when leads me to directly sign in without re-entering credential.
1.PNG

In your scenario, could you please post the screenshot about how you connect to the sharepoint list from Power BI Desktop? Is http://wss../sites/TLIntlob/Projects/iauditor your root site URL? Also please delete data source of your sharepoint list under on-premises gateway and try to use personal gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft,

Here is a screenshot of my Sharepoint List connection:

Capture1.PNG

This is what it looks like now:

Capture2.PNG

As soon as I go to my personal gateway the errors around invalid credentials show up.

Capture3.PNG

The SQL connection validates fine, but the SharePoint List won't.

Anyway, it is working without the personal gateway now, so my issue is closed I guess.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors