Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

drussellgbc
Frequent Visitor

Error: The evaluation has timed out.

I finally downloaded Power Bi for Desktop and have been trying to get it connected to a Salesforce database. For the last few years I've been using a middleware to connect Excel PowerPivot to Salesforce so I am excited to get started with Power BI once and for all.

I have been setting up the query, but every time I try to 'Apply', I receive an error that the evaluation has timed out. Even after paring back my tables and columns to a fairly small subset.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

8 REPLIES 8
Youssef
Employee
Employee

Hi @drussellgbc, were you able to get this to work for you? Can you update the thread if you are still having issues?

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I've seen some mention that the amount of data can be an issue. Have you tried the content pack for Salesforce? Get Data | Services.

Otherwise, send a "frowny face" to support and attach a screen shot of the error. It is the smiley face icon in the upper right in the Service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

there are two limitations that make refresh fail:

1. size of the model - 250MB at the most
  2. refresh time - cannot take more than 30 min

So I have a query that takes about 7 minutes to run in SSMS. However, it times out in PowerBI. Any thoughts on why that might be happening?

As I mentioned in your other post related to this, you have direct ability to performance tune your source data, I would suggest that you work on reducing the time of execution on the SQL side for your issue.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi  - Wuld be interested to know if you resolved s issue as I've started to get a similar problem.  I've started to get Evaluation time outs on a query from CRM Online.  It's been working fine until yesteday? I cannot work out what has changed?

Thanks

Hi all - mine was a conflict with the securityt settings CRM must be Org or Private level - DOH!

I was able to resolve by starting over and when selecting Salesforce Objects as my data source, NOT selecting the 'Import relationships between Salesforce tables' option. We have a fairly complicated data model so this must have been more than Power BI could deal with.

Thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors