Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

clark_hsu
Regular Visitor

Error Interacting with REST API while connecting to Google BigQuery

While connecting to Google BigQuery, I am getting the following error:

DataSource.Error: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (100) Error interacting with REST API: Access Denied: Dataset projectname:first_dataset_name: The user name@domain.com does not have bigquery.tables.list permission for projectname:first_dataset_name.

I have checked with the admin that I do have read permission to the project. This was confirmed as I am able to access the project/datasets/tables through both Tableau and Google Data Studio.

Has anyone encountered such type of issue and resolved it before?

Thank you for the assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@clark_hsu,

I don't think that Power BI can bypass the permissions.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
danzrust
Helper IV
Helper IV

I am also getting these errors now. I don't even have any shared dataset in my underlying data. I am project owner, big query admin, big query job owner. I am everything I can be.

Yet PBI service produces these nonsense errors.

When I refresh from the very same account from desktop, it works fine. Datasets which used to refresh for months suddenly stopped refreshing in the service. 

Power BI is piece of crap with comes to BQ. I am tired of it. Random stuff happening like this repeatedly, yet not fixes. Some email google accounts work in the service, some don't, even though they all have the same level of permissions. All accounts work in the Deskop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am running into a similar problem. Basically our BigQuery project has permission granted on the dataset level (by using BigQuery's "Share Dataset"). We get this with any user who has restricted access.

Person A has access to BQ dataset 1, 2, 5 which was done by using "Share Dataset" (we have BQ dataset 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

When Person A connects using BigQuery Connector through PowerBI, they get the HY000 error (they do not have permission to list 3).

Ideally what should happen is to skip over any datasets that a person does not have permission to list instead of failing on the first permission error.

- Person A can access 1, 2, 5 (PowerBI BigQuery connector skips dataset 3 and 4 because Person A doesn't have the permission for those).

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@clark_hsu,

As the error mentions, please contact your admin that if you have bigquery.tables.list permission foer the project in Google BigQuery. There is more information about permission control in this article:https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/docs/access-control.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for replying. I have checked with the admin and we've upgraded my access to dataEditor.

However, PowerBI would still produce the same error.

I have tried revoking GCP to PowerBI access and re-establishing the connection; yet the same result occurred.

At this moment, I am not able to further pinpoint the source issue; however, I do not believe it lies with access control.

As mentioned previously, with the same access rights, I had no problem connecting through Data Studio and Tableau.

I have worked with the admin to check further details.

Apparently, the some datasets within the project have customized permission rights that could not be overwritten at the project editor level.

Is there a way for PowerBI to simply bypass the datasets without permissions and just list those with?

@clark_hsu,

I don't think that Power BI can bypass the permissions.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi, 

i had the same problem and just realised that if you rename the view wothout spaces it fixes the issue. 

i.e.

view from this table

view_from_this_table

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors