Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ricky23
Frequent Visitor

Error Installing On Premises Gateway

I am trying to Install the Power BI Gateway on a 2 GB Windows 10 Laptop. But the Installation Fails. Here is the error from the error log

Hello, I'm your 64bit Impersonated custom action server.
Action start 15:43:03: StartServiceToCreateUser.
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSIA61F.tmp-\
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
Calling custom action Microsoft.DataTransfer.EgwInstallUtils!Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.StartServiceToCreateUser
Exception thrown by custom action:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.StartServiceToCreateUser(Session session)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object parameters, Object arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
CustomAction StartServiceToCreateUser returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 15:44:09: StartServiceToCreateUser. Return value 3.
Action ended 15:44:09: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Property(S): UpgradeCode = {D430A057-BAED-421C-A12C-C4EFF2

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ricky23,

Please add your account under  "Create global objects"policy as described in the similar thread below and check if it works.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-On-premises-data-gateway-install-failed/td-p/...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Conarl_on_BI
Helper III
Helper III

Hi ricky23,
I believe you’re installing a Personal gateway, if so ensure that you have enough memory to support the installation of the gateway. But looking at the error it’s indicating something about 64bit? Is your laptop a 64bit or 32bits OS. If so then you would need to install the appropriate gateway version that corresponds to the version of your OS. And see if that helps with the installation.

Hi Conarl_On_BI,

I tried Installing the recommended mode. Please see the screenshot by going to this URLThe OS is 64 bits. I have enough memory on the hard drive (At least 250 GB) to support the Installation but only have a 2 GB RAM.

@ricky23

From your screen shot the installation is prompting you to select which gateway you want to install. i.e enterprise or personal gateway. If you're not familiar with the installation of the gateway please follow the screen shot in below link  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-getting-started, also do some reading on types of gateways that meets your requirements. 

Thank you,

Conarl_On_BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors