Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error: Information is needed in order to combine data

Power BI refreshes fail with the error "Information is needed in order to combine data". This seems to mostly happen when I modify an existing query. Setting the file privacy to ignore does not have any effect. I'm merging data from google analytics and a personal office 365 drive. There is at least one other post and an enhancement request on this issue but any guidance is greatly appreciated!

12 REPLIES 12
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

I found a possible solution:

Check if the credentials levels are the same between your desktop file and the published online dataset. 

Unbelievably, in my case, I discovered that the credential levels (organizational) are not automatically transferred to Power BI service even though I published it from the very same pbix. file. In other words, I need to re-configure the credential levels (though not credentials) after publishing. What a user-friendly design!

It worked for me, thanks!

I just opened a ticket and heard back from Microsoft. They confirmed the bug: "It requires a change to the product which can take a few weeks as we have to test any changes in the route to live environment". Hoping for early December.

jirineoral
Post Patron
Post Patron

Have the same issue combining data from SQL Azure DB and data from AzureMarketplace? Was anyone able to resolve it yet?

Thanks

Jiri

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see the same problem combining data from Google Analytics and an Azure database. File privacy is set to ignore and datasource privacy is set to none. I also tried with datasource privacy set to public for both sources. A solution to this is critical for our project.

Dale

Did someone find a fix for that?

I get the same error trying to refresh a data model with SQL and OneDrive connections.

JanVW
Frequent Visitor

Getting the same error here when trying to refresh CRM online odata feeds+azure sql db. Also, I need to fill in credentials for each odata feed while they all are for the same instance...

jan
Frequent Visitor

I have the same error...combining two excel files on sharepoint and in a separate file, combining CRM and excel. Both refresh manually correctly. Privacy settings set to none.  Help needed!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What happens when you try to refresh manually?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I'm also getting this error. I have been working on a SQL Azure dataset and it's been refreshing fine both manually and scheduled for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I added a SharePoint list and the manual refresh is working but the scheduled refresh fails with

Data Source Error: Information is needed in order to combine data

Cluster URI: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net

The credentials for the refresh are set correctly for both SharePoint and SQL Azure

Cheers

Dave

Same here.  Just published from latest version of PBI Designer a solution that pulls from SQL on-prem and REST/Cloud via the latest personal gateway.  Get this on Powerbi.com when refreshing:

Last refresh failed: Sun Oct 25 2015 19:23:57 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.

Data Source Error:Information is needed in order to combine data
Cluster URI:WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity Id:09b7dde0-d091-47a6-acc5-32d863219dad
Request Id:efd94e90-6952-4cce-992a-a50d4f992c1c
Time:2015-10-26 00:23:57Z

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors