Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ishi_garg

Error: DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Number. Details: #N/A

When I am trying to expand the column after merging two tables that have a common column and the same data type, I recieve the following error. 

Error.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
NestorKartio

I had the same error, could not convert to number but the problem was that some of my numbers had over 19 decimals. Hope this helps somebody. 

CrazyAnalyst

Hi,

I was looking here for an answer, but eventually I found one on my own.

Here it goes: remove "change type" entry before merging or assign all columns to text.

In your case @CrazyAnalyst you must have Type Detection on, and it created the change type step, and did it incorrectly.

edhans_0-1617286217095.png

You don't need to remove it, nor make everything text. You just need to make it correct. For example, Power BI will usually detect numbers in US zip codes so automatically make that a whole number. But if later in the data (it only looks at 200 rows to decide the type) there are 5+4 zips, (12345-4444), or foreign code like Canada that has letters, it creates errors. 

That is why I have that feature off. I know my data better than Power BI, so I set my data types correctly based on my knowledge of the business.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

THANK YOU! that resolved the issue! 

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Ishi_garg 

have you been able to solve the problem with the replies given?

If so, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

All the best

Jimmy

edhans
Super User
Super User

Somewhere in your code-country-region table in the Region field, you have an #N/A value. It may not be showing itself in the main table because Power Query doesn't evaluate every record when designing queries. Generally only the first 1,000 rows.

But when you merge, it forces PQ to do a more detailed analysis and this is showing up now.

In your code-country-region table, go to the last step and select Keep errors as shown:

2020-01-14 07_37_59-Data - Power Query Editor.png

That will show you the record(s) with the error(s).

Then either fix the data there by either filtering them out if those records aren't relevant, replacing it with null, or fix it in your source. Then remove the "Keep Errors" step once done trouble shooting.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Ishi_garg 

most probably you forced column type change into number to do the merge, but not all of your data were numbers, and so somewhere in these columns you have a converting error. When you then merge queries with a column that contains that error, you will get this message

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors