Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error Connectig to on Prem SharePoint List (SharePoint List & OData Connectors)

I am attempting to connect to a on premises SharePoint List with Power Query in PowerBI desktop. (Version 2.69.5467.2151 64-bit (May 2019). I get errors attempting to connect to this SharePoint list using both a

• SharePoint List Connector and
  • OData Connection.

I am looking for any suggestions or workarrounds that may work. Here is what I have tried. 

1) Using SharePoint List Connector

Using the SharePoint List, I can successfully connect to the list (see screenshot below)

Error1.JPG

However, when I select the list to load, I get the  error  (see error message 1 below). This error suggests an error with the property “wd8old”.  Online searchs (see here)  returns suggestions to “put a default value into this field”. However, in our situation this field isn’t visible in the underlying SharePoint list (Through the GUI anyway).

ERROR  Message 1

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] We couldn't parse OData response result.  Error: A null value was found for the property named 'wd8oId', which has the expected type 'Collection(Edm.Int32)[Nullable=False]'. The expected type 'Collection(Edm.Int32)[Nullable=False]' does not allow null values.

Another suggestion (also in the link above) is to  change the API version from 15 to 14.  But this results in another Error  (error message 2 below)

ERROR Message 2

Expression>Error: The key didn't match any rows in the table. Details: Key=Record Table = Table

2) using an OData Connector

When I attempt to connect to the list with an Odata with the following URL

https://teams. ABCBusiness/sites/ra/_vti_bin/listdata.svc     Note : the “ /_vti_bin/listdata.svc “ is a suffix that I am adding to the URL root https://teams. ABCBusiness/sites/ra/   . In this case I get another error

ERROR  Message 3 

DataSource.Error: OData: Request failed: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. (An error occurred while processing this request.). Details:     DataSourceKind=OData    DataSourcePath=https://teams.XXXXXXX/sites/ra/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/AuditRecommendationsTracking  SPRequestGuid=987de39e-a844-d040-a6f6-c49924d3e801

Searching online for the 500 internal server error (which in itself if a very genera Http status code), leads to lots of general suggestions (e.g. deleting columns from the SharePoint site () which I can’t do, as I don’t have visibility into what fields are used by others).  but not solution.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve these errors, and connect to the Sharepoint list?

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve these errors, and connect to the Sharepoint list?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Sorry for not helping you efficiently.

If you have a pro account, you could create a free support ticke to get more quick support.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

1.Using SharePoint List Connector

Try these methods to see if they help:

Way 1: delete the connection and cache in power bi

(Under data source setting, clear permission for that data source,

under File->options and settings->option->data load->clear cache),

reconnect to sharepoint list with power bi desktop, change the API version from 15 to 14 in Advanced editor.

Way 2: In Steps pane of power query, delete the 'Navigation' step and then click close and apply

2.using an OData Connector

If you try to Connect to specific SharePoint List in a Team SharePoint Site with Power BI Desktop,

Please input the URL in the OData entry in Power BI Desktop.
https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/ListName

Or try this suggestion:

Error with People or Group Field when using Power BI with SharePoint Online

Last but not least, please update to last version: May 2019 Update (2.69.5467.1251)

Best Regards
Maggie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft  Hi Maggi, Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried each of the 4 suggestions. Unfortunately none worked 😞  Any other ideas/ Suggestions?

Hi @Anonymous 

Sorry for not helping you efficiently.

If you have a pro account, you could create a free support ticke to get more quick support.

Best Regards
Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors