Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error 2146232060

Hi

Does anyone know how to solve this error?

DataSource.Error: Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Details:
DataSourceKind=SQL
DataSourcePath=10.88.164.156;alpalytics_dev
Message=A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
ErrorCode=-2146232060

OBS: i already checked the credentials, passwod, server ID...

OBS: this is a Direct Query

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This error means that the client can't find the SQL Server instance. This can happen when at least one of the following problems exists:

• The name of the computer hosting the SQL Server instance doesn't resolve the correct IP
  • The TCP port number isn't specified correctly

For more details, please refer to

Troubleshoot connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
rushmoremg
Frequent Visitor

I ran accross this error today. I merged queries and the query I had merged with I did some renaming on the columns. I assumed if I corrected the names this would fix the error. Since I had renamed a bunch of columns I just pulled a new query of the same one. When I merged it with this one the error went away since I there were not any column name changes. 

Jameswalter

1.Go to control panel.
2.search for services.
3.Open Local services window from your search results
4.Restart your MSSQLSERVER service.

Regards,
J Wick

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This error means that the client can't find the SQL Server instance. This can happen when at least one of the following problems exists:

• The name of the computer hosting the SQL Server instance doesn't resolve the correct IP
  • The TCP port number isn't specified correctly

For more details, please refer to

Troubleshoot connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Where is this coming from - your Power BI Desktop or a gateway/service refresh ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also face a similar error : 2146232060, the error come from PBI Service , I do not use a gateway. I connect to Azure SQL Database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors