Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AJTindall73
Advocate I
Advocate I

Enterprise gateway - application installation location

This is a weird question, and could lead in a different direction, so I apologise if this has been placed on the incorrect board.

First the back story:

Back in the day an IT colleague of mine installed the On-Prem Enterprise Gateway.  Subsequently this colleague left our company and he completed many a Maintenance Guide. All was fine. Until....

Shortly after his departure there was an Enterprise Gateway update.  This was the one maintenance guide we didn't have. 

We contacted him and he made a best guess at where the Application had been installed.  Our IT Team has been unable to locate it on any of our servers. 

Now to my question/s:

Is there a way of easily finding the application's installation location? (I know very poetic)

None of our IT Team have delt with Power BI or its gateways before.

- OR -

Is this a "Click" to upgrade, (i.e. the application upgrades itself once you press the "Upgrade now" button), as the app is held in azure?

I am a desktop developer and would like this completed as this has gone on too long.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AJTindall73,

You can go to Control Panel to check if on-premises gateway is installed on your server, or go to Services to check if gateway service exists. Once gateway exists and you run the latest installer, the existing gateway will be automatically upgraded. If no gateway exists, you will install a new gateway after running the installer.
2.PNG1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@AJTindall73,

By default, gateway is installed in the %program files%\on-premises data gateway folder. If you want to upgrade the gateway. directly download the latest version of Power BI gateway from this link, and run this installer, the existing gateway will be upgraded.

Reference:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-install

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for you response. Please bear in mind, this is not my expertise so any following question may seem silly or simple.

Just so I am not getting anything confused; If we run the upgrade, the installer will automatically know where the current gateway is kept? Or, should we know which server the gatway was installed - log on to this server and then carry out the upgrade? as this was the reason I asked the question originally. Our IT Team are not sure where this has been installed.

Kind regards,

Alan Tindall

@AJTindall73,

You can go to Control Panel to check if on-premises gateway is installed on your server, or go to Services to check if gateway service exists. Once gateway exists and you run the latest installer, the existing gateway will be automatically upgraded. If no gateway exists, you will install a new gateway after running the installer.
2.PNG1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for all your help.

I will pass on this information.

Kind regards,

Alan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors