cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GerryFlanagan Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Enterprise Gateway refresh for a data set connecting to a SQL server and One Drive Excel file

The situation is that I have saved a pbix file to the one drive group for the Power.bi service group workspace. I imported that pbix file into the group worskpace and set up a connection through an enterprise gateway to the SQL server data source. I have recently updated the pbix file and it now contains an excel file which I have also saved to the group one drive. Since including the excel file the refresh no longer works. I have tried adding the excel file as a web source and a file source on the enterprise gateway but neither work. Has anyone else come across this problem? 

4 REPLIES 4
Power BI Team dimazaid
Power BI Team

Re: Enterprise Gateway refresh for a data set connecting to a SQL server and One Drive Excel file

Hi @GerryFlanagan,

You don't need the Enterprise Gateway for the Excel file if it's on a OneDrive. 
What errors are you seeing? 
Here's a link about using the PBI file in OneDrive: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-desktop-file-onedrive/

Regular Visitor

Re: Enterprise Gateway refresh for a data set connecting to a SQL server and One Drive Excel file

Hi,

The data set is also pulling data from a SQL server DB, which seems to be the thing thats causing the automatic link between one drive and power BI to break. I've got data sets that only pull from on files on one drive and there's no problem connecting.

Regards,

Gerry

bhmiller89 Member

@dimazaid @GerryFlanagan did either of you figure this out? Currently running into the same problem.  Have a power bi file and can't set a refresh schedule because the Excel file included in the data is on One Drive for Businses.  The enterprise gateway won't allow a refresh to be set up

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@bhmiller89 I'm afraid not, I ended up breaking the excel file up into smaller tables and including directly in the pbix file with the "enter data" function. The refresh for the  excel file was very infrequent so this solution was managable for me but if the data in your excel is updated regualrily then this would be a real pain.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 1,912 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: