Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GerryFlanagan
Employee
Employee

Enterprise Gateway refresh for a data set connecting to a SQL server and One Drive Excel file

The situation is that I have saved a pbix file to the one drive group for the Power.bi service group workspace. I imported that pbix file into the group worskpace and set up a connection through an enterprise gateway to the SQL server data source. I have recently updated the pbix file and it now contains an excel file which I have also saved to the group one drive. Since including the excel file the refresh no longer works. I have tried adding the excel file as a web source and a file source on the enterprise gateway but neither work. Has anyone else come across this problem? 

4 REPLIES 4
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Hi @GerryFlanagan,

You don't need the Enterprise Gateway for the Excel file if it's on a OneDrive. 
What errors are you seeing? 
Here's a link about using the PBI file in OneDrive: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-desktop-file-onedrive/

@dimazaid @GerryFlanagan did either of you figure this out? Currently running into the same problem.  Have a power bi file and can't set a refresh schedule because the Excel file included in the data is on One Drive for Businses.  The enterprise gateway won't allow a refresh to be set up

@bhmiller89 I'm afraid not, I ended up breaking the excel file up into smaller tables and including directly in the pbix file with the "enter data" function. The refresh for the  excel file was very infrequent so this solution was managable for me but if the data in your excel is updated regualrily then this would be a real pain.

Hi,

The data set is also pulling data from a SQL server DB, which seems to be the thing thats causing the automatic link between one drive and power BI to break. I've got data sets that only pull from on files on one drive and there's no problem connecting.

Regards,

Gerry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors