Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pnussbaumer
Frequent Visitor

Enterprise Gateway - greyed out, why?

Hey there...

I configured a Enterprise Gateway on my on-premises SharePoint-Server. Check.
I configured this Enterprise Gateway in my Power BI Service on app.powerbi.com. Check.
I added my SharePoint (over https) as a datasource. Check.
I added some users to to this data source. Check.
I checked the connection. I am online. I checked the data source. Connection established.

Now I want to configure this gateway in my dataset in the settings. The gateway is listed but greyed out.

Why? What I did wrong?

I research many hours. Thanks very much for every support.

Thanks,

philip

5 REPLIES 5
pnussbaumer
Frequent Visitor

Ou, one important thing I forgot to mention... My on-premises SharePoint has other credentials than I have on my computer or for the Power BI service. Power BI = Office 365 = my Computer. For SharePoint I have other credentials. Thats the reason why I cannot use the personal gateway, i think. In the Power BI Desktop I can give each data source alternative credentials, thats perfect. But you don't have the possibility to do that for a data source on app.powerbi.com. So I thought in my Case I need the enterprise version. But it's greyed out...

If you have different credentials in your on premise data sourc; the users online technically can't access the data because you can't add their credentials in. A common occurence of this is using mydomain.local in active directory. You may need to establish a UPN for these users in Activie directory using their online accounts. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/

Hope this helps!

Teal Canady

Sr. Data Architect 

Hello, 

I have this same error. I am confused by your response. Are you saying that individuals on a .local domain need to add a UPN to allow the Enterprise/Personal data gateways to work? What would the UPN look like to work with MSFT cloud services?

Please advise as this has been a major headache for me. I have had to use a 3rd party tool called PowerUpdate to get my refresh to work.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam,

Can you connect through the desktop edition of power bi to the sharepoint list? If so then I may be way off base and all you would have to do is push the local power bi desktop file to the cloud; provided they are the same data source then it will use the enterprise gateway for the future. If not then an explination of UPN is below.

So to connect to your on premise data source lets go through the scenario. You have installed the Power BI Enterprise Gateway on a server and everything connects to Sharepint etc. You have a user online that has access, myuser@somedomain.com.

In the app.powerbi.com you login with myuser@somedomain.com

Locally you log in to sharepoint with myuser@somedomain.local

Power BI can't make the connection to sharepoint because there are no permissions for myuser@somedomain.com present. When Power BI connects to the enterprise gateway it calls on your Active Directory Server to get an effective username; so it tries to look up myuser@somedomain.com and it does not exist. 

A UPN on user myuser@somdomain.local that reads as myuser@somedomain.com allows the security to translate those two different users. A UPN makes it so that when you login and try to query with myuser@somedomain.com it uses the security from myuser@somedomain.local as the effective username.

I'm sorry to say I don't have sharepoint to test this out for you; i'm basing this on my experience with on premise tabular models. 

Teal Canady

Hi,

I had this problem and (after at least one hour almost loosing my mind) found the problem.

Check ALL sources on your PBIX file to see if your gateway works with all of them.

For example: I needed to read the folder "c:\test\reporting" on the server (and this folder also exist on my desktop computer). However, when I was testing I used to use "c:\Users\myname\Desktop\test\reporting"... and there was ONE source pointing to this folder that only exists on my desktop computer. So, I think that the gateway thought "I can locate the first folder, but cant locate this second one, so I cannot provide data source for this pbix".

After I removed this wrong path from the data source that was using it, the gateway has been enabled on power bi data sources.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors