Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Scotturn
Employee
Employee

Enterprise Gateway broke all my credentials

Installed Enterprise Gateway and configured two SQL data sources I use in four reports. These were using and continue to use latest Personal Gateway. Both Gateways can coexist per the Enterprise Gateway blog.

Now, I receive refresh failures (corrupted certificate stored in cloud) for all my reports (none using Direct Query yet). When I try to configure credentials in Settings for the SQL sources, the UI shows me the settings for a different data source (e.g. the url for my Web sources, or for my Azure Data Market sources).

Finally, I can't discover a way to 1) disable the SQL source in Enterprise Gateway or 2) remove Enterprise Gateway altogether to try to debug/resolve this blocking issue.

Ideas?

1 REPLY 1
SQLbyoBI
Advocate I
Advocate I

You can delete an Enterprise Gateway via powerbi.com website. It is not enough to simply uninstall the Enterprise Gateway software from the on-prem server.

Once logged into app.powerbi.com, go to settings (the little cog in the upper right corner) and choose [Manage gateways]. Then you can click the very small difficult to see (because of the light grey on white color scheme) dot-dot-dot next to the gateway you want to delete and choose [Remove]. I believe you need to be designated as an Administrator for the Gateway in order to complete this.

---- background that may help with your other issue ----

I discovered this after quite a bit of fiddling around. Another developer had apparently configured a gateway but it wasn't working correctly. I uninstalled the PBI-EG application on the on-prem server and reinstalled it - thinking PBI.com would pick up the change. However, when I went to configure the new gateway during the installation process, I was greeted with an error that the name (PBI_GWAY01) was already taken. So I gave it another name (PBI_GWAY02) and moved forward. However! After publishing a basic report from PBI-Desktop, I was met with more gumption traps after attempting to open the report. It seems during the publishing process, the report associated with the first gateway (PBI_GWAY01) and a connection could not be established (because I'd uninstalled it from the server). There was a small ray of hope: the error message was accurate ("PBI_GWAY01 appears offline") and even included a link to allow me to choose another gateway. I clicked the link expecting to see PBI_GWAY01 and PBI_GWAY02 listed with the option to select PBI_GWAY02 (which I knew was online). However, the only gateway displayed was PBI_GWAY01 and it was marked as offline. 😞  

I'm not sure what to make of this - still waiting on the other developer to return so they can delete PBI_GWAY01 from PBI.com to see if that clears this up (I'll return to update once I know more). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors