I'm having a problem when trying to select an Enterprise Gateway for scheduled refreshes. I tried to log a ticket, but that just takes me to a Not Found, so I thought I'd try the community.
I get the super useful "Something Went Wrong" message with sub-message of "Failed to use the selected gateway. Please make sure the gateway is up and running and try again".
I know the gateway is up and running as I have another data source to the same SQL Server (different database) using it perfectly. I have also tried removing and re-adding the datasource. Under Manage Gateways, it says "Online: You are good to go." for the gateway and "Connection Successful" for the Data Source.
When I go to the data set and select Schedule Refresh, under Gateway connection, it is currently using "Personal Gateway", and when I select "Use an enterprise gateway" and click Apply, I get the error.
The only other details I get with the error are:
You can use the smiley icon in the upper right to send feedback and include a screen shot. You can also go to support.powerbi.com and use the Contact Support button to submit an official support request.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
As usual, you spend ages looking at something, then log a ticket, then immediately discover what's wrong!
Before I installed the Enterprise Gateway, I had hostname set for around 10 data source connections to the same database. On creating the enterprise gateway, I configured that data source with hostname.domain.com, so clearly I had to amend it in the PowerBI desktop to match so that it would give me the enterprise gateway as an option after republishing. On doing that, it appears I missed the last one (because I thought the last two were both just locally added tables) and so it was just hostname.
The good news is, after spotting that and fixing it, it is now working. The clue that led me to it was under Data Source Credentials (before selecting the Enterprise Gateway) it had two server entries (one for hostname and one for hostname.domain.com which caused me to go and double check my data sources (I'd previously assumed it was just left over from before).
Hopefully me admitting my stupidity will help someone else at some point
Many thanks for all the quick responses.
Glad you figured it out and I'll wager you won't be the last person to do this so thanks for posting the resolution!
Proud to be a Datanaut!