Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enterprise Data Gateway can't connect to on-premise Analysis Services Tabular Cube

We have two Enterprise Data Gateways

TEST - On a laptop can connect to all resources needed (SQL and Tablular Cubes) (doesn't help much as it is a laptop)

PROD, a VM  - Can connect to SQL servers just fine, but fails when conntecting to Analysis Servcies

This is the error I am fighting with:

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to XXXXX\tabluar. Details: "The connection to the Analysis Services instance timed our or was lost. Ensure that the server and the 'SQL Browser' service are running."

Activity ID:0ae79cfb-8173-4969-a260-7d846718f789
Request ID:616d29e7-5f0c-f17e-a11f-6f8fea4477a7
Cluster URI:https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdomdConnectError
Time:Thu Jan 05 2017 12:26:18 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Version:13.0.1700.872

I am able to connect to this on the TEST Data Gateway. Any troubleshooting suggestions are greatly appreciated.

eZe

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're using an alias to connect to the SSAS server, try using the actual machine name, or even the IP address.  This isn't a solution, but it would help narrow down the source of the problem if connections are successful using one of those methods.

I'm having the same issue connecting to SSAS (multidimensional) using a DNS alias, but it works fine using the actual machine name.  Still searching for a solution to that one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Solution to using a DNS alias to refer to an SSAS data source: put the gateway on different server.  Having the gateway on the same server as SSAS triggers the SSAS loopback issue.

Hi.

I am having a similar issue. In my case I can't connect to Analysis Services. I just tested SQL Server (relational) and it did not work either with a Windows account. It did work with a SQL Server account (which doesn't help me with SSAS). 

The SQL Server is on an Azure VM, the gateway has been installed on a different Azure VM. 

Ports 2382 and 2383 are open.

The Browser Service is running, the account running it is Windows and SSAS admin.

I tried it using the IP address as well, but without success.

Do you have any idea?

Aktivitäts-ID:

b296b56d-6e71-52b1-c2c8-beedd50af12c

Anforderungs-ID:

3ef6ee7a-3ad2-a3fa-4dab-4ad14f590dd3

Cluster-URI:

https://wabi-europe-north-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Statuscode:

Fehlercode:

DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_ImpersonationError

Zeit:

Mon Jan 30 2017 09:55:03 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Zeit)

Version:

Thanks in advance!

Hi did you by any chance get a resolution to this? I have the exact same issue with the exact same symptoms. 

@Anonymous Couple quick checks. First, what version/edition of SQL are you running?

1) - I'm assuming the Browser Service is running, and the account running it is an admin on the VM.

2) - validate that the appropriate ports are open, I believe 2382 is for AS named instances/browser service

3) - Validate perms (although I believe you would be getting a different error in that case)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors