Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Enabling direct query for a data source via an odbc driver

I'd like to create a custom data connection to access a Progress database. This would allow me to DirectQuery our student information system (Skyward). I've been importing data using an ODBC but would really like to try out the DirectQuery option. Can someone please direct me to a resource that would allow me to create this? I've searched and haven't been able to find anything on my own. Thank you.  -Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

By using the custom data connector preview feature, you would need to create a date connector project in Visual Studio to define your own connector logic.

Based on this article, the sample that define logic that enable Direct Query for an ODBC based connector will come soon. Please keep an eye on the updates in this article, and your patience is appreciated.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

In Power BI Desktop, it doesn't support to connect to ODBC data source using DirectQuery mode. You can review this article to see supported data source in DirectQuery mode.

In your scenario, you can consider to move data from Progress database to SQL Server database, then connect to the SQL Server database using DirectQuery mode in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lydia. Thank you for the reply. I recently read this Data Connector SDK Preview blog. It states the following:

What you can do with a Data Connector

Data Connectors allow you to create new data sources, or customize and extend an existing source. Common use cases include:

• Creating a business analyst friendly view for a REST API
  • Providing branding for a source supported by an existing connector (such as an OData service, or ODBC driver)
  • Implementing an OAuth v2 authentication flow for a SaaS offering
  • Exposing a limited/filtered view over your data source to improve usability
  • Supporting different authentication modes when creating a Power BI Content Pack
  • Enabling DirectQuery for a data source via an ODBC driver

This last bulleted Item leads me to believe that I can create a Data Connector so that I can Direct Query my Progress database using an ODBC driver. Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly...? Can you please confirm that this is not the case? And if I cannot create what I'm hoping for, can someone please explain when such a connection would be used? I would appreciate it. 

Thank you.  - Eric

@Anonymous,

By using the custom data connector preview feature, you would need to create a date connector project in Visual Studio to define your own connector logic.

Based on this article, the sample that define logic that enable Direct Query for an ODBC based connector will come soon. Please keep an eye on the updates in this article, and your patience is appreciated.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lydia, Thanks for the additional information. I've gone ahead and accepted this solution. I appreciate you pointing me to a helpful resource. I'll keep an I on the updates as you suggested. 

- Eric

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Eric,

we have the same issue.

We also need a Direct Querry Connection to a Progress Data Base.

Have you made any progress in writing the custom connector?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Daniel,

No, I haven’t made any progress on the Direct Query Connection to a Progress, but I do know that they created their own connector and they’re selling it now. It’s called the Progress DataDirect Hive ODBC driver. This is for those of us who haven’t figured out how to make our own connector yet.

Here is the information regarding cost at the time of inquiry (November 2018):

Our licensing model is “per server” that our software is installed on.  This includes all prod, non prod and DR servers.  The list price for a perpetual license is $4699 per server, and all non prod is discounted at 50%.  There is also a subscription option available for $1999 per server, per year. 

If you are looking to install the driver on a desktop only, the pricing is different.  The cost is $199 per desktop/workstation, with a minimum of qty 5.

Due to the cost I didn’t explore this option any further. However, if you try it would be great to hear your review of the product. Or, if you end up creating your own connector instead, I would be interested to know how you did it.

Eric

Hi Eric and everyone,

I see this post is a year old. I wanted to see if there is anyone who has installed Progress's DataDirect product to enable the Direct Query feature for ODBC data sources. I wanted to know the reviews and if it provides feasibility to change the mode to DirectQuery.

I am using Advantage Database Architect owned by Sybase, SAP. Ultimately, being ODBC data source while connecting to the Power BI. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Snehal

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors