Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Embedding Reports on Dynamics 365 Dashboards

We have been embedding Power BI Reports as i-frames on Dynamics 365 CRM dashboards successfully for a few years. We do this so that Dynamics 365 users who need to use these reports can remain in a single application. 

Recently, two clients have had problems with this.  When users open the D365 dashboard where the Power BI report is embedded, they are prompted to log into Power BI, even though they are already logged into D365 with their Office 365 credentials.  The button to take them to the Power BI login does nothing in Firefox and in IE a credential screen opens.  When credentials are entered, the Power BI spinning logo opens, but it never opens to the report.  Here are a few more details:

1.  All users, including the author of the report, who receive the error are assigned both D365 licenses and Power BI licenses.

2. The reports are published into an App on the Power BI Service.  That app is shared with the users who are receiving this error.

3.  The users receiving the error have Power BI licenses and can successfully open the App and see the reports.

4.  The embed string comes from File/Embed in the menu ribbon of the App in Power BI Service.

5.  The Dashboards are created by adding an i-frame that has the embed string from Power BI Service as the URL.  The checkbox "Pass record object-type code and unique identifier as parameters"  is checked.  The checkbox "Restrict cross-frame scripting, where supported" is unchecked. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous ,

When you embed a dashboard of an App workspace to Dynamics 365, to make the users see the dashboard in D365, you would need to add them as workspace members in Power BI Service. Sharing app to the users is not enough.
1.PNG

However, if you embed a dashboard of "My Workspace" to D365, you can just share the dashboard to users in Power BI Service. This way, users can see the dashboard in D365.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous ,

When you embed a dashboard of an App workspace to Dynamics 365, to make the users see the dashboard in D365, you would need to add them as workspace members in Power BI Service. Sharing app to the users is not enough.
1.PNG

However, if you embed a dashboard of "My Workspace" to D365, you can just share the dashboard to users in Power BI Service. This way, users can see the dashboard in D365.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did a little more work today.  I tried embedding my work as a dashboard on a personal dashboard, instead of above, as a system dashboard.  This time I got it to open on my own login in D365 on the personal dashboard (minor victory!).  I shared the personal dashboard with another user and asked her to check.  She is a licensed Power BI Pro user and D365 user.  She got "This content isn't available.  Learn more about Power BI."  WHY!?!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors