Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lynk_RM
Helper I
Helper I

Efficient query to merge several SharePoint CSV files?

How can I make this query more efficient to cut down on load times? I have roughly 174 files (+1 daily) merged to provide 220k rows. The load times are becoming problematic. Please see the code below and help if possible:

let
    Source = SharePoint.Files("https://********.com/sites/******"),
    #"Filter Folder" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Folder Path] = "https://***********.com/sites/****/***")),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filter Folder", each ([Extension] = ".csv")),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Rows", "Custom", each Csv.Document([Content])),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"}),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Custom", {"Column1", "Column11", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column6"}, {"Custom.Column1", "Custom.Column11", "Custom.Column2", "Custom.Column3", "Custom.Column4", "Custom.Column6"}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Expanded Custom", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Promoted Headers", each ([Date] <> "Date")),
    #"Filter Null Dates" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows2", each [Date] <> null and [Date] <> ""),
    #"Change Date Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filter Null Dates",{{"Date", type date}}),
in
    #"Change Date Type"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

That's a pretty straight forward query, so not much optimization potential.  One thing you could do is do your promote headers in the custom column step with the change below, which would eliminate that step and the Filter step to remove the rows with "Date".  You'll have to redo your Expand column steps with the new column names.

Replace  each Csv.Document([Content]) with  each Table.PromoteHeaders(Csv.Document[Content]))

That probably won't speed things up much.  Another thing to consider is to use that M code to create a Dataflow and then use that dataflow in your report instead.  That would move the refresh offline and your desktop file would refresh faster against the Dataflow.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

That's a pretty straight forward query, so not much optimization potential.  One thing you could do is do your promote headers in the custom column step with the change below, which would eliminate that step and the Filter step to remove the rows with "Date".  You'll have to redo your Expand column steps with the new column names.

Replace  each Csv.Document([Content]) with  each Table.PromoteHeaders(Csv.Document[Content]))

That probably won't speed things up much.  Another thing to consider is to use that M code to create a Dataflow and then use that dataflow in your report instead.  That would move the refresh offline and your desktop file would refresh faster against the Dataflow.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors