Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pm_scorca
Helper I
Helper I

Efficient manner to find a table column

Hi,

inside PQ I've created the A table with some transformations, that loads data from a csv file.

After, I've created the B table as a reference one from A.

Inside the B table I've added a custom column by invoking a custom function that uses Table.SelectRows and Table.Max functions against the A table. It seems that for each custom column value in the B table it occurs a data loading from the A table: the data loading dimension of the B table with the custom column is of some hundreds of megabytes while the data loading dimension of the table B without the custom column is of some hundreds of kilobytes.
I could use a DAX expression to calculate the custom column but I would need to apply some other transformation depending on this column inside PQ and not at a model level.

Any suggests to me in order to solve this issue, please? Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

You can try buffering the TableA before using Table.SelectRows and Table.Max expressions. 

So you can write something like

BuffTableA = TableA

Stepx = Table.SelectRows(BuffTableA.......

Hi,
inside the query for the A table, I've added as a last step something like #"Table buffering" = Table.Buffer(#"previous step", [BufferMode = BufferMode.Delayed]). So, the data loading dimension for the table B is remained the same one as without the custom column, also if it is increased the data loading time.
Using Table.Buffer could be a good solution, but I think to hope using this function in the right manner.
I've said that the A table is created to connect to the csv source and to apply some initial transformations; then I've created the B table as a reference one from A. In this way, I can inside the B table I can to invoke a custom function against the A table avoiding a circular reference. Now, is it right to apply the Table.Buffer function to the A table or is it right to create a new C table as a reference one from A and to apply the Table.Buffer function to the C table (obviously, the custom function has to consider the C table)?

Many thanks

Without seeing your Query for TableA and TableC, I will not be able to advise on the most optimum solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors