Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing exiting Workbook query Connection SQL Statement to limit columns and rows - Power Query

Hi,

I am pulling data from a 12 mb CSV file that contains 300k rows and 8 columns. I want to limit the number of columns pulled into Power Query editor to only the last 2 columns `PunchID`, `IdeaID` and also limit the number of rows to certain `PunchID's` like `-1116`,`-1115`,`-1114`,`-1113`,`-1111`. I don't want to do it from the Power Query editor but by modifying the default SQL query that gets generated when a query connection is created in Workbook (Data > Connections).

The Connection String is :

Provider=Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1;Data Source=$Workbook$;Location="Test";Extended Properties=""

The default SQL in the Connection properties for the query:

SELECT * FROM [Test]

What i want to do is change the Connection String to detect Headers and Column Datatypes :

Provider=Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1;Data Source=$Workbook$;Location="Test";Extended Properties="IMEX=1;HDR=YES;"

and SQL query string to limit Rows and Columns :

SELECT [PunchID],[IdeaID] FROM [Test]
WHERE [PunchID]='-1116.0' OR [PunchID]='-1115.0' 
OR [PunchID]='-1114.0' OR [PunchID]='-1113.0' 
[PunchID]='-1111.0'
ORDER BY [PunchID] DESC,[IdeaID] ASC

However, the query when opened in the Power Query editor shows `Source` displaying all the columns and rows. There is no error, but SQL is definitely not working! How do i limit the data before pulling into Power Query? Is this possible to do or am i missing something?

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

I'm not understanding. You cannot use SQL statements with CSV files. There is no server to process the request and limit what you get. With flat files like Excel and text file, you must do 100% of your processing in Power Query's editor.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was of the assumption that since i could use ADODB to query and pull selective records from a csv, it would work similarly with OLEDB for Mashup as the SQL is still querying the csv data using a select statement in the connection. Not sure, why it should not work straight away like ADODB SQL queries on csv files.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors