Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

learning_dax
Helper II
Helper II

Editing and using published Power BI dataset for other Power BI reports

Hi all, 

Relatively new to dataflows, PowerBI published datasets, etc. I am trying to figure out a way to use the dataset I have currently, with many many different queries/datasources/steps in Power Query, on other reports. It is a combination of pulling data from Sharepoints, different files, & Excel workbooks. However, I also need to be able to edit it as well. Not only do I want to use some (not all) of the queries from this dataset, but I also want to be able to edit/add/remove some of the steps in PQ to more customize it to this new report I am creating based on this existing dataset I already have. 

I've tried connecting my new report to the existing published Power BI dataset but it doesn't allow me to make additional edits. It only allows me to use it as it exists. Any solutions/workarounds to creating standardized datasets for many reports and building on top of queries and creating new customizable reports from these different datasets & queries?

Best,

Ed T

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @learning_dax 

You can use DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services feature to connect to existing Power BI datasets in many reports along with other data sources. However currently this feaure has many considerations and limitations you need to consider. You can find them in the corresponding section from above link. Once you connect to a table in a dataset with DirectQuery, you cannot see this table in Power Query Editor thus you cannot edit the steps either. 

If you want to create reusable transformation logic that can be shared by many datasets and reports inside Power BI, Power BI Dataflow is more recommended. It is like Power Query experience online. You can create connections with your cloud or on-premise data sources in Power BI dataflows and perform transformation to queries there. You can also set scheduled refresh for them. When you create new reports, you can connect to some queries from one or multiple dataflows in the Power BI Service. You can also transform them in your new reports. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/transform-model/dataflows/dataflows-create 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/transform-model/dataflows/dataflows-configure-consume 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @learning_dax 

You can use DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services feature to connect to existing Power BI datasets in many reports along with other data sources. However currently this feaure has many considerations and limitations you need to consider. You can find them in the corresponding section from above link. Once you connect to a table in a dataset with DirectQuery, you cannot see this table in Power Query Editor thus you cannot edit the steps either. 

If you want to create reusable transformation logic that can be shared by many datasets and reports inside Power BI, Power BI Dataflow is more recommended. It is like Power Query experience online. You can create connections with your cloud or on-premise data sources in Power BI dataflows and perform transformation to queries there. You can also set scheduled refresh for them. When you create new reports, you can connect to some queries from one or multiple dataflows in the Power BI Service. You can also transform them in your new reports. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/transform-model/dataflows/dataflows-create 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/transform-model/dataflows/dataflows-configure-consume 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

@Syndicate_Admin , You can download the Dataset from the current workspace and edit it using the Power BI Desktop. Then publish it to the same workspace and it will ask you if you want to replace the existing dataset and you should choose yes. 

Regards,
Ahmed
If my reply helped you, please give a 👍. And if it has solved your issue, please consider Accept it as the Solution to help other members in the community find it more.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors